Perch....

Thirstystone

Site Sponsor
R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Why ...does anyone know why they don't have a closed season on perch when they are spawning....Hmmmmmmm When I say closed...I mean for commercial Too..

Last edited:
That is a valid question. I have wondered the same. I think they should and also have a possession limit a lot lower than 50. Eitherway i can only speculate that the MNR feels the population supports constant pressure.

That is a valid question. I have wondered the same. I think they should and also have a possession limit a lot lower than 50. Eitherway i can only speculate that the MNR feels the population supports constant pressure.
I don't agree on lowering the limit because if they closed the fishery during spawning...I think the fishery would support a 50 fish catch....

Um didn't they just increase the conservation license limit to 50 as well. Seems someone thinks there's tons of perch on the lake.

Possession for Perch on Erie is now 100 yes, page 91 of 2015 regs for a holder of a Sport Fishing Tag. It also says in transit or anywhere as opposed to in residence previously. Page 7, bottom left of page.

There is a catch limit for commercial fishing vessels on Erie. In tonnes.

So is the catch limit for perch in Erie 50 per day. But you are allowed to have 100 in your freezer??

I would suggest that most closed seasons are in place due to the spawning habitats of each fish, WHILE they are reproducing.
Bass, Pike, Walleye, Trout, Salmon, all have tendencies that make they very easy to find and catch during this time. Shallow water, identifiable beds, migration into streams etc. all concentrate fish. With the ease of catch comes the ease of disruption.
Perch are more or less no easier or harder to find during the spawn.

Why ...does anyone know why they don't have a closed season on perch when they are spawning....Hmmmmmmm When I say closed...I mean for commercial Too..
have a relative that has worked on fishing boats for over thirty years now. he tells me they can limit out their quota on perch real easy now. the perch are much larger on average and more plentiful. some believe it is because the lakes are cleaner now and they are eating the gobies that have got into the great lakes. walleye and trout are also more plentiful now. not sure but I think he said white fish as well.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks