perch? Port Bruce? three trees?

Hi to everyone, i'm new to fishing in at port bruce, i was out around the 3 trees 30 fow a few weeks ago with no luck on perch.
so my question is has anyone been out there in the last week or so and any luck if so ?? fow? thanks in advance

Just got back from the lake. Tried 20FOW. 30FOW. 40FOW marked lots of fish but only a Sheephead would take the bait. Finally found fish in 15FOW that were hungry and brought home 15 Jumbos. Just have to chase them til you find success.

About 500 meters or so but there are people fishing off the beach every day who are catching Jumbos

The pier and the beach have been fairly good for a couple weeks, but hit and miss right after a windy day. Today they didn't really turn on until about 1:30pm.

To put it into perspective, I go once a week, sometimes twice. 3 1/2 years ago I got 2 limits off the pier. Haven't done it since. Last year was brutal, I caught a total of 124 yellow perch, kept 91 all summer, and of those 124, most of those were caught on 2 different days........July 6 when Misty River took me out in his boat, and Sept 30 when Tailfeathers took me out in his boat. All season last year I caught 200 total fish.......that counts every species I caught. (bass, perch, sheephead, even the damn gobies.) This year, I've caught at least one yellow every time I've gone, (first trip was May 5) but I didn't catch a keeper until May 24.

As of today, for the season so far I've caught 121 yellows and kept 91 and my total fish count sits at 199, so it's been a better year so far given how bad last year was.

When is the best time to try the pier? Are perch a regular catch, or mostly sheephead? How about channel catfish, I hear they run up into catfish creek?

When is the best time to try the pier? Are perch a regular catch, or mostly sheephead? How about channel catfish, I hear they run up into catfish creek?

It varies. Sometimes they're there in the morning, Sometimes not til afternoon. Sometimes in between. Sometimes evening. Sometimes not at all. Check the winds before you go. The water is high. Anything more than 15km/hr from any direction other than North, is going to whip the lake up to the point it breaks over the pier. Hard to fish in that, but in all honesty, the perch show up when they show up, but when they're there, they are there and everyone catches. Expect to catch some sheephead. It's almost guaranteed and some big ones. If the perch aren't hitting and all you're getting is sheephead, they're still fun. There have also been some big channel cats caught off the pier this year. I haven't heard of any yet, but it is not unheard of to catch the occasional walleye and rainbow off the pier. I know that last year there was a pike caught and I know one person who caught one last week. There was a real nice smallie caught yesterday. (guy who caught it was not aware they weren't in season yet and was disappointed he had to throw it back) But, the best thing to do is go and put a line in the water and being it's been pretty good for the last couple weeks, I'd say go in the morning or you may not get a spot on the pier especially as word is getting out that its been good in recent weeks.

Holy crap, I've only gotten the boat wet once so far this year. I have a lot of catching up to do it appears. :eek::oops:

Good for you @Trevor M making the most of your opportunities.

Thanks. My first trip fishing this year was May 5. Later than I have normally started (the Leafs making the playoffs and getting sick in March had something to do with it lol) My counts this year to date are, 121 yellow perch, kept 91....currently have 69 in the freezer, but I'm having some for lunch tomorrow so I'll adjust that count accordingly, that way I know how many I can catch without going over my possession limit....10 white perch. I don't keep those, but if someone on the pier wants it I'll give it to them......64 sheephead, some big ones too, they've been fun when the perch aren't biting.....1 walleye.....2 gobies....and a sucker. 95% of those were caught off the pier.

I can't complain about the first trip's results. 14 of 17 of the more cooperative fish species.

Running six rods this year instead of four (when 3 or more onboard) has created a few necessary changes, but the lessons were learned on day one.

No more stupid net tricks. :banghead::banghead::confused:

Thanks for the info, it's greatly appreciated. Looks like the pier is a good option when the lake is too bumpy for a small boat/ 16 ft.

Not always. Sometimes if it's too bumpy for a boat, it's too bumpy off the pier too. The water is high, so it doesn't take much to come up and over. North and NW winds are great off the beach and the pier. If it's a strong (20km/hr or more) NE wind then it's not because it's breaking over from the channel to the beach and you're better off fishing from the beach. My rule of thumb is anything over 15km/hr from the W, NE, SE, S, SW, not worth going. Lake will be rough, probably breaking over the pier every once in a while. 20km/hr or more from those directions most definitely breaking over the pier, don't waste your gas unless you want to go for cats in the creek.

How far is 3 trees if leaving out of Burwell. I am heading down this afternoon and want to get out tonight if not too rough or in the morning. Thanks.

How far is 3 trees if leaving out of Burwell. I am heading down this afternoon and want to get out tonight if not too rough or in the morning. Thanks.

3 trees is real close to Pt Bruce. Can see them from the pier.

Google maps has been updated with a handy "measure" feature if you right-click. I get about 16.5km between Bruce and Burwell, from the tip of the pier to the tip of the rocks. 3 trees are about 2km east from Bruce so that would put them 14.5km west of Burwell.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks