Open ice

Johnmilton16

Hey guys.
Went out of St. Williams Wednesday morning ended up fishing out two guys out of open water. Just to give everyone a heads up to watch for the slushy and weak spots they should b marked.on plus side the guys got back to shore safe n sound. caught a few keepers all and all a good day. Best of luck to everyone and safe fishin.
Cheers!

Hats off to you @Johnmilton16 !!! , way to help out (y), I'm sure them boys were glad to see you and even happier to see shore !.............apps

wow good job, sometimes we just get comfortable and a rude awakening seconds later . glad to hear all are safe and sound

Glad you got them out safe and sound. They must have been frozen.
I can't believe with this cold there's that many bad spots out there.
Driving around with the ATV I ZIG ZAG to stayed on the clear ice.
Stay off those humps of snow.

I was told yesterday that has fished the lake commercially for years that when it gets this cold natural gas becomes active and causes these open spots where there weren't any. He's not a scientist just a guy that's been on that water for 70 years.

Glad your alright bushwacker and I bet those kids in your pic are too. How about a story? I'd like to hear more about how this happened. It would have scared the crap out of me to fall in, your experience could help others avoid the same fate. Glad you and your bud made it out safe.

We've decided not to go back out there. I get paid to get excited I don't pay to get excited. 2 of the guys decided to bring their new hut to St. Williams yesterday, they got as far as Nanticoke before they put the truck and new hut in the ditch. Better a dry ditch than 7 feet of freezing water.

Tell is the story, it will only reaffirm my decision.

For all these "soft spots" out of ST. WillY'S I would have to blame some of them at least on the operators for moving their huts all over the place and leaving the holes not marked properly with a small green tree or branch!!!! When I was out last Saturday, all I saw was a piece of plywood to mark their old spots. So I drilled and found 4-5 inches of "White ice" and maybe 1" of clear ice. Some holes were covered with snow so you can't see the wood!! Personally I think there were to many wood huts out there with probably most of them not being used and with only seeing 5-6 " of clear ice at best with some white ice on top to make up the thickness to 8" total. So everyone be careful out there and good to hear that everyone is safe and sound !!!!! Bushwacker PM a message to doctorspivey and set the dude up with a case of beer for sure !!!!!!!

Now thats a good end to a story. You're here to talk about it.
There is a lot of huts out there and I don't think I'd blame the operators. Those operators out there have helped big time with guys in trouble.
They move those huts around so it doesn't create a big hole underneath. It's the nature of the beast. We, ourselves have to be careful.

Last edited:
Whatsthepoint ... I believe your friend about the gas wells. I remember in the 60's 70's a very large open area of water just to the west of St. Willy's while
there was lots of ice elsewhere. A cold winter. My father told me he thought gas was cause as well.

For all these "soft spots" out of ST. WillY'S I would have to blame some of them at least on the operators for moving their huts all over the place and leaving the holes not marked properly with a small green tree or branch!!!! When I was out last Saturday, all I saw was a piece of plywood to mark their old spots. So I drilled and found 4-5 inches of "White ice" and maybe 1" of clear ice. Some holes were covered with snow so you can't see the wood!! Personally I think there were to many wood huts out there with probably most of them not being used and with only seeing 5-6 " of clear ice at best with some white ice on top to make up the thickness to 8" total. So everyone be careful out there and good to hear that everyone is safe and sound !!!!! Bushwacker PM a message to doctorspivey and set the dude up with a case of beer for sure !!!!!!!
Mr. robNperch look we the operaters move our huts everyday preventing hut holes its private guys like you that don't move there hut for weeks on end that create those hut holes and we mark every hole we see left by private guys so don't be so quick to critisice operaters if it wasn't for us paving the way for you you wouldn't be out there ice fishing.
Granger's Ice Fishing

Thanks Grangers, you helped me and my buddy the other day, we followed you in because of the big crack.
My buddy was saved last year by the operator at Old Cut, buddy was walking around out near EC10 in the dark and a white-out.

I was one of them guys you fished out the water. My buddy and I would like to show our appreciation for helping us out the other day, we would like to buy a case of beer or something for you and your buddies, how can we get it to you??

We just glad to hear that you guys are alright. I'm sure you would do the same for us if you were in our position. Taker easy bushwaker. Cheers!

Great job @Johnmilton16 and happy to hear everyone is safe. Our ice hut operators are not the blame for soft spots on the bay. They break their backs doing everything they can to keep everyone safe out there. Bad spots are created naturally and are just part of the danger that comes with ice fishing just like getting caught in an unforeseen violent storm when fishing in a boat miles from shore. The responsibility for our safety lies solely with ourselves by using our heads when doing anything that can be dangerous even when all conditions may seem right. Be prepared, keep your eyes sharp and stay safe out there on the ice.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks