Newbie questions

Legend1984

Hey guys, new to the site and new to fishing Lake Erie. I've fished it once last year with a buddy and was hooked, but then his boat needs some fixing. So I decided I needed a boat. I pick up lund 17 pro sport so I no I'll half to pick my days.

So anyhow my questions are what channel you guys use on the radio I think it was 68 but don't really remember and what do you guys use as bait behide your harness? We never used them just body baits and spoons. I no how to set my stuff up just wondering if you use worms or like herring or smelt ect...

Goiing out of port bruce so if someone can give some tip on starting point and stuff that would be great. Am not expecting spots just a direction of flight and maybe distance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

welcome aboard....you will find this forum and those involved to be very helpful.

There's a marina right as you enter Port Bruce that does a fantastic job of managing the in and out. I cant remember the name but you can't miss it....they usually have bait at the water if you are chasing perch.

I've personally used worms behind harnesses and think that is what most do if they are not running hard baits or spoons. I was out last weekend and was having some good luck on spoons in the blue/purple/silver colors.

From what I have been able to tell guys are fishing 58-65 fow and over and Horty suggested they are down close to bottom now which follows where I was having success last weekend.

Make sure to watch the weather. Horty often posts weather reports early which are helpful and I have become a convert of sailflow to see what is going on.

good luck

Thanks Maestrolaker. I should have been maybe clearer. Going for those big eyes.

I've used worm harness before on bottom bouncers just not behide dipsys. So just wondering what bait you guys use for eyes if any?

Thanks again guys

allot of guys are using worms on leadcore and planerboards, I personally rarely use them other than for northern trout lakes.
I use both body baits (ripplin redfins, sebile bull minnow, bombers) and spoons (moonshine, silverstreak, williams wabler, and NK 28)
I tend too troll 2.5 -3 mph on gps

last weekend I heard that hottest fishing was half way between bruce and stanley in the 62-65' of water, but went out in a 16' with 3' rollers and didn't risk going that far, played around straigh south of bruce in 45'-50 and caught several silver bass and lost small walleye behind boat. wasn't fun fishing and didn't stay out long.

Cool thanks a lot guys your all very helpful

One last question what kind of wave would I be looking going Friday? I think there are calling for 15 km/h south winds. How ruff will that be?

Thank again guys. Can wait too hook some big eyes and maybe meet some of you on the water.

Hard too say exactly., but sunday when I went out it called for 15km SE and we had 2-3' waves for the most part with the odd 5' and whitecaps when wind would gust. For me !! anything over 15 km is tuff fishing: hard to keep dipsy's locked in (have too tighten them right up, then hard for fish to release)
planers sometimes get air off waves then dig in and pop lines. and if your using riggers someone has too leen over side when attaching line too cannon ball.

You almost should have 3rd person in boat on windy days!!! its pretty tuff to net fish and drive boat in ruff water.

I don't look at how big of waves the boat can handle!!! As ive been out in 20km+ winds with 6-8' waves. fishing is supposed to be fun and relaxing, so i look for what is still comfortable to fish. but everyone has there own tolerance and comfort level, which will come from experience.

Thanks Puddle Jumper. That's what it was looking for. I no the boat can handle that wind I just don't like fishing in big waves. I like to stick with 2 maybe 3 footers at worst. Might just wait for a better day.

Thanks again

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks