My first shotgun

Nater12

Im looking to buy my first new shotgun. I have narrowed it down to two guns. The Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870 express. Im wondering if anyone has bought one of these two guns new in the last few years and what experiences you have had with it positive and negative. Il mostly be using the gun for hunting. As of now im leaning towards the mossberg because i have found a good price on a 3 barrel combo with 3 chokes for around 550. I was leaning toward the 870 but the price for the combo seems hard to beat. Im having a hard time deciding on what gun to go with. I would appreciate any advice thanks

Nater12

I'd go with the 870. Had one for years. Great shotgun. I don't like the safety on the Mossburg, it's on top and encourages thumb on safety with finger on trigger. Thumb pushes forward finger pulls tigger bad set up in my mind. Yes I know finger shouldn't be on tigger but I seen guys who have done it anyways.

Learn about proper shotgun fit. Remember you don't aim a shotgun you point it. (except with a rifled barrel)

Buy the gun that fits you the best and you are guaranteed to hit more things regardless of what brand it is.

The Winchester SXP/1300 is a very good gun and in the same price range. Go and play with them all and fit them to you.

Some come with shims but even sometimes that isn't enough to make it fit you.

I've actually contemplated trading my Sx3 in on a super Nova because they fit me just a bit better.

Learn about proper shotgun fit. Remember you don't aim a shotgun you point it. (except with a rifled barrel)

Buy the gun that fits you the best and you are guaranteed to hit more things regardless of what brand it is.

The Winchester SXP/1300 is a very good gun and in the same price range. Go and play with them all and fit them to you.

Some come with shims but even sometimes that isn't enough to make it fit you.

I've actually contemplated trading my Sx3 in on a super Nova because they fit me just a bit better.
Should you decide on getting rid of that SX3 send me an email at markwing19@sympatico.ca

I'd go with the 870. Had one for years. Great shotgun. I don't like the safety on the Mossburg, it's on top and encourages thumb on safety with finger on trigger. Thumb pushes forward finger pulls tigger bad set up in my mind. Yes I know finger shouldn't be on tigger but I seen guys who have done it anyways.
It like a BPS is a good trade off if you're a lefty and personally from what I've heard from 3 coworkers and a couple dealers and a gunsmith , you have to be careful when purchasing the first 2 especially from box stores as they have various problems with them . I just bought a used 870 with a smooth bore slug barrel included for the boy , but i knew where it came from . Zero problems so far .If I was going to buy one I'd choose the BPS and the 870 next unless I could find what I wanted with screw chokes in a little older model . Then I'd consider all 3 as a deer barrel will cost more on a BPS . I love the tang safety as I am a lefty but have shot rights for years because It was always harder to find lefts and they used to cost more than to buy them today . My thumb never rests on the receiver as its usually on the grip and my finger is never on the the trigger unless I'm ready to fire but I could see where a person would do as you said . That's just not a safe practice and as a new hunter especially I wouldn't encourage anyone to do it . Just my thoughts .

I have an 870.... It is the only shotgun i use ... It is a good all round gun ... From bird hunting to shooting deer... I used to have 3 diffrent pumps but found i always used the 870 so i got rid of the others

I have an 870.... It is the only shotgun i use ... It is a good all round gun ... From bird hunting to shooting deer... I used to have 3 diffrent pumps but found i always used the 870 so i got rid of the others
Just for curiosity sake , how old is your 870 and where did you buy it ?

thanks for all the input i appreciate it. i havent bought anything yet! Il be sure to keep you updated and post pics when i pull the trigger on one! thanks guys

Just for curiosity sake , how old is your 870 and where did you buy it ?
I bought it in the mid 90's and a friend had bought for his wife... She tried it i think 2-5 shells through it and said it was to heavy... Picked up from him cheap.... Love it would not trade it for anything else

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks