Mute Swans - Long Point

Buddy Boy

Hello Guys,

I thought that you may be interested in my recent observations.

Over the past few days I have seen between 10 and 24 adult Mute Swans in the Inner Bay of Long Point Bay while only looking from inside my kitchen. I have generally seen between 18 and 20 adult Mute Swans (the 10 and 24 were the minimum and maximum).

By comparison last year I regularly saw between 3 and 5 adult Mute Swans and later I saw their cygnets as well.

I realize that this must be an aberration of some sort but "wow" what a difference from the last few years.

Jerome

PS Considering that each adult Mute Swan weighs about 27 pounds and that each adult Mute Swan consumes about 9 pounds of aquadic vegetation per day and destroys another 14 pounds of aquadic vegetation while eating that 9 pounds that is a lot of wastage done by an invasive species!

Apparently over at our cottage there is a family of Mute swans and so far this spring my dad said all of the young have been killed off either by snapping turtles or some other predator. There were 3 young now there are zero .

Hello Guys,

Big Dave ... I thought that you were not interested.

Sonnyuphi ... I have been advised that I can apply for a "Removal Permit" for Mute Swans if my property extends into the marsh ... which it does. I have also been requested to monitor any "aggressive interactions" by Mute Swans towards our native waterfowl and to obtain photos and/or video evidence of such.

Jerome

PS It will be nice once the Mute Swan is removed from the List of Protected Species as it will open up a new (to our generation) dimension to waterfowling.

jerome....I have it on good athority that that day will be sooner than later. another year for the doves:) ummm bacon dove breasts on the bbq

Hello Wicket,

I think that this is the first time that I have seen a post from you on Channel 6-8. There is an icon that you "click on" for editing ... sometimes you see it and sometimes you do not see it.

I was also aware that the Mute Swan "day of grace" is about to expire sooner than later and I have already purchased a table top oven for baking one.

Jerome

PS As for the Mourning Doves ... see the Hunt Ontario Upland Form and click on the "Mourning Doves" thread for the latest information.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks