Man fined for abandoning ice hut

Leaving huts out on the ice is always an issue when owners are unable to respond to changing circumstances in short order.

Leaving huts out on the ice is always an issue when owners are unable to respond to changing circumstances in short order.

It is understandable if there is a wild weather swing or the owner is otherwise distracted by one of life's 'misadventures'. I'm sure the MNR would use their discretion if that were so but it seems maybe it wasn't in this case given he even went to the trouble of changing his license number on his hut....

I remember years ago on Simcoe when it was one big campfire when people burned their huts at the end of the season. Now the huts are nicer than most of the cottages I've stayed in!!

It is understandable if there is a wild weather swing or the owner is otherwise distracted by one of life's 'misadventures'. I'm sure the MNR would use their discretion if that were so but it seems maybe it wasn't in this case given he even went to the trouble of changing his license number on his hut....
I agree fully. There have been some wild weather swings out here. I remember years ago out there trying to save one .it was anything but safe. We had to clamp 12 foot long planks across quad in case it went under!!! Maybe a better approach instead of letting them sink would be controlled burn. The owner needs to be responsible for the cost of removal however instead of a charge and fine maybe a donation to our local firefighters and help get them some on ice training would be better .

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks