Lowrance Screen Issue (for Monty or others in the know....)

G.Mech

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I was going to PM Monty about this but decided it may be worth a thread in case other have had a similar issue. Last weekend my HDS-9 Touch worked fine on Thursday and for the first half hour on Friday before it went blank. After I re-booted the screen was just a series of horizontal lines that faded in and out before becoming vertical lines as shown in the picture. After carefully considering suicide, I finally gave up on it. About another half hour later, the display came back to normal. I'm pretty sure everything was still functioning in the background but the display looked like this:

It was raining quite heavily on Thursday but I can't see how moisture would have got in so I'm really at a loss. I don't want to send it away if there's nothing wrong with it but this is a little scary....

Check your plugs on the back and make sure they don't have water in them.

I think I may have overlooked the obvious......thanks Dunnster. I did unplug the unit and tried it on the power cord for the other one but it still could have been wet. If it ever happens again, I will dry them out before I do anything crazy....

I had a similar issue with my colour Garmin combo a few years back. Unfortunately the LED or LCD ,I don't recall exactly which , was fried. It never did come back to normal like yours did., just coloured lines with ghost images behind the lines. I talked to Garmin and got a few second opinions and there was no repair for it. I had left it on during a brutally hot and sunny day by mistake while anchored outside the Hydro plant. If I'm not moving I now keep my new unit covered when I'm stationary and it's hot and sunny, or not in use.. I replaced it with a Hummingbird. The old unit was around 10 years old. I wish I had better news for you, but that was my experience with the exact problem.

I hope you have better luck than I did.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks