Looking for Cooking Advice

hvyhaul

My eldest daughter and family dropped by on Sunday and handed me a package of meat among the other cards and items etc

Inside was a Tri Tip and a Chuck Roll from a highly recommended butcher in their area.

I haven't cooked either of these as yet and although there's lots of Net suggestions I thought I would ask the group for your experience with these two cuts of meat.

Son in Law dropped the hint of an invite to grade the final product.( Like there was no ulterior motive involved with the gift.) LOL

TIA

Last edited:
@hvyhaul I've never cooked either of these cuts but have had Tri Tip at a restaurant named Lucille's in the US - smoked and slathered in sauce - and delicious. If you have the time (and I know you have the tools and technique) smoking may be an option. I tried to see if I could find a Lucille's-like sauce recipe and still looking.

My eldest daughter and family dropped by on Sunday and handed me a package of meat among the other cards and items etc

Inside was a Tri Tip and a Chuck Roll from a highly recommended butcher in their area.

I haven't cooked either of these as yet and although there's lots of Net suggestions I thought I would ask the group for your experience with these two cuts of meat.

Son in Law dropped the hint of an invite to grade the final product.( Like there was no ulterior motive involved with the gift.) LOL

TIA
@hvyhaul And really cool that your daughter brings you gifts of meat - showing the love to someone who cooks :)

@hvyhaul And really cool that your daughter brings you gifts of meat - showing the love to someone who cooks :)
It's actually quite funny to The Wife and I.

The kids struggle what to get us as gifts for whatever the occasion might be.

We both tell them, we have what we need so no worries, but they singly or as a group (there are four of them) figure out something we wouldn't buy and go and get it.

They all love to sit at our table when there's a fire burning in the backyard so I think I know where this is leading. LOL

End of Covid feast.

And yes, it is a pretty cool birthday gift, didn't expect it at all.

Last edited:
The Tri Tip comes from the bottom of the sirloin. Sometimes it's also called a "triangle steak" or "cheaters brisket." As a roast, slow cook it at low temps. As a steak low temps on the BBQ is what I'd do. You could also marinate it first if you wanted too. IF you're going to smoke it, 225F about half hour/pound. Regardless of how you decide to cook it, the most important thing to remember is it should not be cooked medium well or well because it doesn't have the supporting marbling. Like a brisket, you do not want to over cook it.

The chuck roll as a roast is also best cooked slowly. But the most common use for chuck is stewing beef or beef bourguignon which is 99% of the time what I'd do with it. If I were to pick either of these up to use as a roast, I personally would wrap it in some bacon to keep more of the juices in because of how lean it usually tends to be.

It's been a long long time since I cooked either so the other thing I would probably do before I decided what I was going to do with it would be to watch some of the you tube videos and read some of the recipe's online that maybe "peaked my interest" a little more than others. Gordon Ramsay and Bobby Flay have some good ones.

Last edited:
I tried a recipe from meateater hunting show. It was marinated in a vac seal bag and then he slow cooked bag sealed in a slow cooker. Holy tender. I did some moose that way as well and was perfect. He has some good recipes on his website.

Back