Off Topic Lookin for a bit of input.

Trevor M

Most of my fishing rods that I use are medium action rods. (I have 6 rods in total, but one is reserved for my wife only, although she's never used it, but I only got it for her last year.)

I do have a 5ft 5" ugly stik that I picked up last year on sale at Peavy Mart across from where I live. It's a light action rod and I used it for the first time when I went out with @Derkd9 on the 15th, and I caught more fish that day with that ugly stik than the rod I use exclusively while sitting on the pier.

I'm about to retire the oldest rod I own that I've had since I was 16. (so I've had it for almost 40yrs) It's a Berkley Power pole, and the reason I'm retiring it is just past where the reel mount is, the styrofoam handle has cracked enough that a big fish will likely finish it off, so I don't use it very often anymore.

I'm thinking about replacing it with another light action rod. I was in Angling Sports the other day and they have several to choose from ranging in price from $46 to over $300. I don't need a reel, I have one.

Any suggestions on light action rods that I should be considering, that can also potentially handle a 10+lb sheephead or catfish that I may catch off the pier and keeping in mind that I'm on a disability pension so I'm looking to spend no more than maybe $100 at most on a new rod.

Berkley Lightning M or ML is good for the price, has a very sensitive tip and on the budget, really well built esp 1 piece versions

I have a few Berkely Lightning rods I use as loaners or beater rods and their still probably best bang for your buck at that price point. Also I know Angling Sports deals with a lot of Daiwa gear and I can fully say from their higher end gear Daiwa has their **** together right now. That's probably where they'll try to steer you and they're certainly worth a look and should have some models well under 100$...I like current Shimano rods as well but starting at $250 Zodias and up through the higher end

Princess auto in hamilton had a ugly stick rod there medium action but with the light action tip on the end i belive sticker price was 45$ dont know if thats a all store thing or just the hamilton location but ive 2 ice fishing rids from there and they great also cant beat a 2 year store warrenty on anything you buy

Took me a while to figure out how to send a photo from my phone to the computer (new phone and I'm still learning it. It's a little bit different than that old flip phone I used to have ;))

Here's my fishin rods.

The blue one on the left is the one I bought for my wife. The new 6 ft 6" light action ugly stik I bought today is the last one on the right. The one beside it is the Berkley Power Pole I've been using since the lake took my rod a couple years ago. It'll go with me when I go as a backup rod (or for my dad to use if he's so inclined when my parents come to visit me on the pier.) The sister rod to the Power Pole is what I replaced today. Sad to let it go, but it served me well over the 37 years I had it. Caught lots of fish with it from Arctic Grayling, Lakers, Pike, Wallpickereyel, to perch, catfish, suckers etc.....but it was time to retire it due to the housing by the reel being cracked enough that as I said in the OP, one big fish and it would be done.

Attachments

• My fishing rods.jpg
    My fishing rods.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Took me a while to figure out how to send a photo from my phone to the computer (new phone and I'm still learning it. It's a little bit different than that old flip phone I used to have ;))

Here's my fishin rods.

The blue one on the left is the one I bought for my wife. The new 6 ft 6" light action ugly stik I bought today is the last one on the right. The one beside it is the Berkley Power Pole I've been using since the lake took my rod a couple years ago. It'll go with me when I go as a backup rod (or for my dad to use if he's so inclined when my parents come to visit me on the pier.) The sister rod to the Power Pole is what I replaced today. Sad to let it go, but it served me well over the 37 years I had it. Caught lots of fish with it from Arctic Grayling, Lakers, Pike, Wallpickereyel, to perch, catfish, suckers etc.....but it was time to retire it due to the housing by the reel being cracked enough that as I said in the OP, one big fish and it would be done.
By the clarity of that pic it looks like you’re still using your flip phone lol.
Just upload your pics from your phone right to the site it will save you some time.
Now get out the the pier and put the new rod to work.

By the clarity of that pic it looks like you’re still using your flip phone lol.
Just upload your pics from your phone right to the site it will save you some time.
Now get out the the pier and put the new rod to work.
No, upgraded from the flip phone to a Samsung A15 5G. Still learning how to use it and even though the phone is capable of accessing the internet, and I do have enough data to do so if I wanted too, I don't and almost certainly won't use my phone that way. My old flip phone could access the internet too, but I never did so with it either.

As for the clarity, I think I just have to stop moving when I take pictures with it.:ROFLMAO: That was the first picture I took with it.

And I will be, as soon as mother nature cooperates. Still lookin at the weather and trying to pick a day next week but every time I look, the day I was looking at has changed.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks