Leadcore question

Ramrod

Just wondering when using leadcore how does the dive capacity of a lure ( example a husky jerk) factor in to how deep the lure runs?

It will not dive as deep as it is suggested on the packaging. That is a lot of weight holding the lure up. Some won't dive at all. The more colours out the less it will dive. I always assume it will not dive at all after 6 colours out.

I like that...."and head shallow" I did that exact thing the other day to judge the proper colours and how deep they were going. I have 2 different rods set up with 2 different kinds of core.....one is fairly consistent on length of each colour, the other one is way off. The first colour is maybe 12 feet, the second is probably 25 and the third is somewhere in between.
I also wonder if the 5 feet per colour is very accurate...??? I have also heard that it depends on the manufacturer as well.

I like that...."and head shallow" I did that exact thing the other day to judge the proper colours and how deep they were going. I have 2 different rods set up with 2 different kinds of core.....one is fairly consistent on length of each colour, the other one is way off. The first colour is maybe 12 feet, the second is probably 25 and the third is somewhere in between.
I also wonder if the 5 feet per colour is very accurate...??? I have also heard that it depends on the manufacturer as well.
Allot of factors play into the depth you will run.......speed of boat, depth of lure, length of leader from lead - lure, water current speed & direction,
Last weekend I had 8 colour with spoon ..hitting bottom in 50 fow but later on when heading in it didn't hit bottom until 35 fow.....speed was the factor

You can take a lot of guess work out of it... Use the same leadcore (# and brand) on all rods... Use the same backing on every setup... Use the same rods and reels for every setup... Use the same fluro lead on every setup...

Its the little details that put fish in the boat... ;)

How do u use planer boards And ledcore? Is there a way of cutting the line to separate the colors or a different line?

It will not dive as deep as it is suggested on the packaging. That is a lot of weight holding the lure up. Some won't dive at all. The more colours out the less it will dive. I always assume it will not dive at all after 6 colours out.

I thought the same thing but last week I lost a reef runner snagging bottom in 57 fow with 7 colours out. So they still dive pretty good.

You can separate it by cutting it pulling back the sheath and breaking out some lead. Then you can add mono or fluorocarbon line . I use a Willis knot to join the 2 I find It be the easiest. It doesn't work for braid though

I just did my lead lines with braid and used a double uni. You could put a dab of crazy glue on the knot but I don't think it is necessary.

I can't seem to be able to tie a Willis knot. When I thread the flouro into the Dacron it pushes through the Dacron. Am I doing something wrong? The double uni works but I don't like the flouro onto the Dacron I have been told that over time it may pinch off the flouro. I am using a micro chain swivel that works well.

I've had the same problem especially when your on the water bouncing around. But I'm amazed at how well it's holds . I was doubtful when I first tried it this spring but I've tested it on some pretty big salmon and lakers and it's held up .

I can't seem to be able to tie a Willis knot. When I thread the flouro into the Dacron it pushes through the Dacron. Am I doing something wrong? The double uni works but I don't like the flouro onto the Dacron I have been told that over time it may pinch off the flouro. I am using a micro chain swivel that works well.

Flouro is stiff so you must be forcing the flouro if pushing it through the Dacron casing. If you have a problem even when gently trying to work it through then something you may want to try is using a large blunt nose needle to get it up through the Dacron without poking through. When you get it in far enough then poke through the Dacron casing pulling the needle through to the point where you can take the mono out of the needle slot. Then softly pull the mono back until it's inside the Dacron again, then tie your Willis knot. The needle also works good for threading braid into the lead core casing because braid tends to be much more pliable making it even more difficult to work up through the Dacron. I love the Willis knot and you will too once your on to it, I hope this helps. :)

Last edited:
I like jammers idea, but i couldn't afford all tekota's so i just paired my reel's but everything else is the same

Ramrod , i tie a double willis (overhand) knot attaching my braid backing and or segmented setups that i have with no issue.

Mind you i have to use a needle to get it up the sheath but once its in there is just the same as anything else.

I'll have to try the needle to slide the flouro into the Dacron. Doesn't the sharp needle poke through when you are trying to make the 360 degree loop in the Dacron?

1 Uni to Flouro then melt the Flouro with a lighter to create a ball then tighten.
This works with Flouro 15 lb and up.

I'll have to try the needle to slide the flouro into the Dacron. Doesn't the sharp needle poke through when you are trying to make the 360 degree loop in the Dacron?

Like I mentioned in the other post I push the needle through for about 3 inches then poke it through the Dacron sheath. Pull the flouro out of the needle slot then gently pull it back until it's just inside the sheath then tie the Willis. I use a larger blunt nosed needle that has a larger slot that allows the diameter of flouro to go through or you can file the sharp point down so it slides through easier.

I really only use the needle when threading braid as I don't have any problem getting flouro or mono to feed in.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks