Lard experiment...

Not too jump in the anti lard bandwagon here but god would I be fat if I ate like that but man does it look tasty! If jammer keeps posting his dietary regimen I might have to actually use the IGNORE option to give my glands a chance to rehydrate?

How bout Bear lard? Anyone use that for anything?
Our moose group bagged one last fall, we rendered the fat in camp and froze it in chunks.
Gonna make sausage this weekend and was thinking of using some for those, but......
No one in the group has tried any yet.

How bout Bear lard? Anyone use that for anything?
Our moose group bagged one last fall, we rendered the fat in camp and froze it in chunks.
Gonna make sausage this weekend and was thinking of using some for those, but......
No one in the group has tried any yet.
I haven't used bear lard, but I heard it is fantastic stuff. The usual suggestion is using as you would any lard or duck fat (so yes! Fry some potatoes in it! Make pie crusts or biscuits!)

I would not recommend using any kind of rendered fats in sausage. This will result in a greasy mealy sausage- if you've had some like that you'll know what I mean. It usually happens because the grinder was dull/got too hot and the fat kind of rendered out of the meat during the process. This causes "fat smear" as liquid fat coats the meat particles... it results in that dry texture and a bad bind (despite having "enough fat" in the mix).

For sausage you want solid fat meat. If you want to try sausage with bear fat (and I have no idea how that would be) save some fat before rendering.

PS- Jammer it should be good frying oil that lasts a long time! Saturated fats like you find in beef and pork (a bit less) are very stable. That "heart healthy canola" oil isn't so hot for frying, all the healthy fats go rancid and it doesn't smell so fresh (kind of old paint) if you try and reuse it too much.

That "smear" is exactly why I haven't been keen to bear hunt.
Years ago a piece of bear I had from someone left an awful aftertaste, greesey mouth feal, not good.

Thanks for the heads up, wont put it in the sausage, but will try frying some sausage in it...

Last fall we got some ground venison that had 20% beef tallow added... It was incredible...

Back