Lake Huron Pt. Franks Report - May 17

stomp

Administrator
Staff member
I had the pleasure to be invited to join @Mickey Finn on the maiden voyage of his new Starcraft Starweld boat. I thought his former Lund 17'6" was a pretty nice boat for the Great Lakes, but I was very much impressed with his new boat from Starcraft, which I understand is not presently available in Canada. It's a great boat for rigg'in with lots of stern access room - a great design for the Great Lakes. @Mickey Finn has been at this a while and has the boat outfitted just the way he likes.

The weather forecast was a little iffy, but it turned out to be a great day. A light offshore east wind pushed us out into 40' off of the Ausable River mouth. It wasn't too long before yours truly christened the new boat with a pink salmon taken off a Silver Streak slider.

A couple of slow hours passed before @Mickey Finn hooked what we think was a laker in 50', but a bug with a new downrigger took away his attention, which may have lead to a lost fish :banghead:. The O.P.P. stopped by to see our life jackets, but didn't make us stop fishing which was appreciated. Helluva boat they are running on Lake Huron!

Shortly after noon we hooked into a couple of hard-pulling Chinook, both of which gave us a great fight and we were both equal to the task. It was a great day to shake out the new rig, box up a few fish and enjoy some lovely early-season weather.

At the launch on the way home, another guy said he was heading out to 100' where there were reports of anglers doing very well with lakers. Sadly, we never ventured that far today to see if it was true.

That was me heading out when you guys come in , we ventured out to 80' marked some no takers though , trolled around for a while watched a great sunset and came home , maybe the bite was better in the morning to mid day great to see you guys should of introduced myself , however will most likely catch you guys out on erie soon !

Hey @floatin rig, thanks for that info and the intro; good to put a name and boat to the avatar . Yes, maybe see you down Erie way soon, but there's a muskie opener to deal with first!(y)

Back