is there any pont in putting a scope on a shotgun?

paddle maker

Hello I shoot a breaking action full choke single shot 12 gauge. I use this gun for every thing ( it's all I have) I am wondering if there is a point to putting a scope on it for deer?

I can't see that there would, a shotgun is like a camera, just point and shoot.
Actually, if you have a rifled barrel and are shooting sabots, it can be a great thing. Just not sure if it would be any good for a multiple projectile round.

No..... it wouldn't be worth the cost. I have slug barrels and sabot barrels that I can interchange on various guns I own . The sabot barrels ( cantilever style ) are rigged for scopes ( Red/Green dot type) the smoothbores are rifle sighted or just plain old bead straight from the factory. BTW when shooting slugs ( rifled type like Challengers or Brennekes ) an open choke is recommened but I have used my factory Mod with no ill results.
Longest kill shot I ever made was 60 yards using my Rem 11-87 cantilever barrel with Red/Green dot scope . The sabot was a Federal / Hornady Barnes Expander. Poked a clean hole right through a little buck.

PM, I shot a smooth barreled, scratched up, canoe paddle of a moss berg pump for yrs. Like you it was all I needed, just change up the ammo for the game your hunting. It had a rib along the top of barrel, made a big difference. I also shot rifled slugs for deer. After many years of hunting and bench shooting, a smooth barreled SG shooting R slugs works just fine, depending on the range you want to hunt. Most my deer have been taken under 50yrd's, usually much less.
I found with a S.B gun with R slugs, you won't group shot's 3 on 3 at the range, but good enough to use to harvest some meat at the 50yrd or so range.
A few yrs back someone decided they needed my beat down old moss berg more than me, along with the TV's and wife's jewelry, another post for another day? Miss that gun, lota yrs with it. Replaced it with a Remington combo with a smooth barrel and a rifled slug barrel, scoped. Shooting sabot slug's with the rifled barrel and scope, can group 3 inch at 80-100 yrds.
Think alot depend's on your hunting preference/range, we hunt powder, shot gun every other yr. With the scoped SG, still shoot my deer under 40 yrds. Ammo is exspencive as well. They both work well, one last consideration is your age vrs eyesight, once past 50 (yrs old ), scope will take back a few yrs??

Thanks guys I will not be waiting the money I hunted deer for the first time this year and managed to miss a couple. Very frustrating for a guy who can consistently shoot teal on the wing to miss a deer in an open field I wonder if it was just to far out of range. Any way some more practice may be more helpful than a scope. Thanks for the advice.

Which hunt did you do Paddle Maker ? As for missing ? LoL !!! All part of the game buddy ! Sometimes I think the closer they are the easier it is to miss !

I did early hunt. I think I will try that again, it's nice hunting in shirt sleeves. I went out with a couple friends, and we didn't get skunked. So the freezer wasn't empty I just didn't successfully pull the trigger.

My gang does the November hunt too. Not a great year for a lot of hunters so I hear. We got two bucks in first two days and a couple of missed shots for the rest of the week. 2013 we tagged out. Four on opening morning ! Main thing is have fun and nobody gets hurt.... meat is a bonus.

I have been shotgun deer hunting for allot of years and have used almost evrytype of shotgun (single shot, pumps, bolt action and semi's)
as well as various lengths of barrels and chokes.
I primarly use a scoped 870 with 24" rifled barrel sighted in at 150 yards with remington core lokt ultra 365 gr hollow point sabots
I have a 26" full choke barrel if wanting too use buckshot in thick cedar bush, as well as an 18" rifled barrel for dogging.

I recently scoped an old 870 wingmaster with mod choke ...sited with challenger rifled slugs at 75 yards and its 1.5" low at 100 yards.

Thing s too consider are:
1. do you primarily Stand hunt?? or do drives?
2 do you do mostly dogging or blocking ??
3. are you mostly shooting at running deer .

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks