Off Topic Fly Protection

BallEye2

Have read several reports about flies and how they are driving people off the lake. On my annual trips north - blackflies have always been my nemisis. This year I broke down and ordered those crazy looking faceshields you see advertised all over the net - Facebook/Instagram etc......from SA Company. They are just a lightweight fabric sleeve in a variety of designs - easy to breath through, not hot, fit snuggly - you can cover back of head, ears, nose, mouth - right up to your eyes - put on a ball cap and "voila" no blackflies in your nose, mouth or hairline. As for the rest of your body - pants tucked into socks, lightweight surgical gloves and long sleeves seems to be the ticket - no bites. You look weird but protected from the biters. Below is the link for the faceshields if interested - I got 6 - for 33 Canadian - delivered in 5 days - and they work.
https://safishing.com/shop/buy-1-ge...Y4vwAAALYNQQNC:20180630213337:s#configuration

Only posting as a remedy for those whose only bite they want on the water is from fish.

Cheers,
Balleye

Read somewhere, I think on here. Sprayed the carpets and interior of my boat with a permethrin spray. Âbsorbine Ultrashield, horse fly spray, TSC. Last a long time and drives away or kills the little ankle biter flies. The swarms of midge/nat flies that coat everything are a pain in the ass, but don't bite.

Thanks for the tips! As much as I hate the bugs, I don’t think I’d be wearing pants and long socks in 40 degree heat though.

If you like your ankles covered in blood by all means avoid the socks and long pants. As for myself I rarely were shorts and always wear socks on Erie.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks