Dover Pier Perch

LadyInRed

Well as I've said before, shore fishing this season has sucked. But the ticket to some success seems to be the evening bite. Last night in particular. With a SSW wind and a bit of a chop, the water was murky and the perch were on fire. They were hauling them in as fast as they could get minnows on. By 'they' I mean anyone who had the good sense to go down there with their fishing gear. Me, I was just out for a bike ride and stopped by the pier to see if there were any minnows. Lo and behold I see a handful of anglers on the west side of the pier fishing in about 4-6 FOW (yes! REALLY!!!) with buckets of perch. I sat and chatted with Iby as he reeled in fish after fish, and even some double headers. People were catching perch on minnows, worms and even huge bass spoons. Great big lures, LOL. You probably could have caught them on a bare hook, the bite was that good. This was all from about 5 to 9pm. There were a lot of small fish, but some good size ones too. No jumbos, but enough keepers to be worth while. And with that many perch, there were no gobies around. So even without fishing, it was great to watch.

I went down this morning and sure as shyte there wasn't a fish to be had. There is a strong east wind however. If the wind shifts I may try this evening.

NorfolkCounty0-20120613-00396.jpg

NorfolkCounty0-20120613-00395.jpg

thanks for the report Red--coulda used that SW wind at Bruce yesterday

[img=left]http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/067096.gif[/img=left]

Wow must be nice I went down to dover Thursday both morning and night with only a few dinks, and a whole whack of gobies. Think they moved out again.

Yeah I was there Thursday morning as well, nothing but gobies. I fished along the mud line at the end of the pier, had some nibbles and had a couple of minnows bitten in half but I think it was just gobies. There was a strong East wind, nothing ever bites during an east wind. I was going to go down during the evening if the wind shifted but it didn't. I salted my leftover minnows. No point wasting them when they are so tricky to catch now.

I may try at some point during the weekend, as my boy likes to fish on the pier, but there isn't much point on the weekends. Too much boat traffic and kids jumping off the sides:(

Originally posted by LadyInRed

Yeah I was there Thursday morning as well, nothing but gobies. I fished along the mud line at the end of the pier, had some nibbles and had a couple of minnows bitten in half but I think it was just gobies. There was a strong East wind, nothing ever bites during an east wind. I was going to go down during the evening if the wind shifted but it didn't. I salted my leftover minnows. No point wasting them when they are so tricky to catch now.

I may try at some point during the weekend, as my boy likes to fish on the pier, but there isn't much point on the weekends. Too much boat traffic and kids jumping off the sides:(

Red---have you tried the "early" morning bite down there---might avoid some of the usual distractions that way

when i say "early" i mean 5/ 5:30 just as its getting light

quote:
Originally posted by packrat

Red---have you tried the "early" morning bite down there---might avoid some of the usual distractions that way

when i say "early" i mean 5/ 5:30 just as its getting light

LOL, I love, and mean LOVE fishing and all...but I love sleeping too. I don't really function before 8. I only get up really early for fishing on opening days. I'm getting up at 4 so I can be to the Maitland River in Goderich and fishing by 8 for bass opener next Sat:D Once every few months is enough LOL!!

Back