Do I need a Boat License ?

Goonie

Do I need a Boat License to Rent a Boat? if not what do I need?

Thanks in Advance,

Goonie

Yes, you need an operators card. I know some places like Bass Haven do the test right on the spot.

This question came up about a month or so ago and to my SUPRISE I thought you did need a license but you do not for rentals. Not sure why but thats how it's worded.

I googled "Do I need a boat license to rent a boat" and one of the pages that popped up was boaterexam.com.

Q. Who needs the Pleasure Craft Operator Card and when?
A. All operators of powered watercraft used for recreational purposes within Canada require the card as of September 15 2009.
As of September 15, 2009 all boaters are required to have the Pleasure Craft Operator Card in order to operate a powered watercraft. There is no grandfather clause or age exemption – this law applies to all boaters. Powered watercraft includes watercraft fitted with any size motor — even an electric trolling motor.

I googled "Do I need a boat license to rent a boat" and one of the pages that popped up was boaterexam.com.

Q. Who needs the Pleasure Craft Operator Card and when?
A. All operators of powered watercraft used for recreational purposes within Canada require the card as of September 15 2009.
As of September 15, 2009 all boaters are required to have the Pleasure Craft Operator Card in order to operate a powered watercraft. There is no grandfather clause or age exemption – this law applies to all boaters. Powered watercraft includes watercraft fitted with any size motor — even an electric trolling motor.
Thank you, I heard rumors reason I asked here. Better safe then sorry. Thanks guys

You do NOT need a license to rent a boat....

This is the clip from the Boaterexam website with link below:

Q. What if I rent a powerboat or PWC?
A. Currently, a Pleasure Craft Operator Card is not required in order to operate a rented watercraft. Instead, it is sufficient for a renter to complete a rental safety checklist. Take note however that some companies have made it their corporate policy to require renters to have their Pleasure Craft Operator Card.

http://www.boaterexam.com/canada/faq_rules-en.aspx

Here is a link to the previous thread on this matter:

http://www.longpoint.on.ca/forum/index.php?threads/for-marinas-that-rent-boats.26316/#post-67401

its been my experience that most places policy says you have to have a Pleasure Craft Operator Card. Why do a rental safety checklist every time you rent a boat, you can do the test for the card online, its drop dead easy and then you are good no question. I did my test years ago at a sportsman show, the guy gave me every answer, then sat me in front of a computer and I regurgitated every answer in order. In other words, just get the card.

Without wanting to get a rise out of people, I would think about it like this: Do I like boating and will I do it again? If the answer is yes, then get the card but earn the card, not pay for the card as some businesses just sell it to you as mentioned above. Know your boating rules and regulations and practice them. Multiple times a season there is conversation on this and other sites about lack of etiquette and people doing dangerous things. The card requirement is not going away, everyone deserves to not have their or their loved ones life endangered by someone doing the wrong thing out of not knowing the regulations. The test is not that hard and can be passed without cracking a book if you grew up on the water, if not, then take a bit of time and understand what a lot of boaters do not, most importantly enjoy your time on the water, we are privileged to have such great water around us.

Without wanting to get a rise out of people, I would think about it like this: Do I like boating and will I do it again? If the answer is yes, then get the card but earn the card, not pay for the card as some businesses just sell it to you as mentioned above. Know your boating rules and regulations and practice them. Multiple times a season there is conversation on this and other sites about lack of etiquette and people doing dangerous things. The card requirement is not going away, everyone deserves to not have their or their loved ones life endangered by someone doing the wrong thing out of not knowing the regulations. The test is not that hard and can be passed without cracking a book if you grew up on the water, if not, then take a bit of time and understand what a lot of boaters do not, most importantly enjoy your time on the water, we are privileged to have such great water around us.

Having a Boaters Card in your wallet and knowing how to operate a boat safety are mutually exclusive things......you can see proof of this every weekend on a lake near you.

Why do a rental safety checklist every time you rent a boat, you can do the test for the card online, its drop dead easy and then you are good no question.
Weather you have a PCOC or not the renter of the boat is required under the law to complete a safety checklist every time they rent a boat.
A PCOC is not required to rent a boat.

Having a Boaters Card in your wallet and knowing how to operate a boat safety are mutually exclusive things......you can see proof of this every weekend on a lake near you.

the process in which yo obtain a boaters card online is a crock of shit in my opinion, at least when i did mine and that verification had to be done from a alternate email adress. ne one could have completed a license for any one else . in my opinion its a cash grab and a useless piece of plastic. stand at any boat launch or channel long enough and you will see what i mean . @gmech hit it on the head.

there are a lot of responsible people who take it seriously especially on here . to others its a way and means of getting on the water and havent got a clue of the dangers of the water and the controls of a boat .

I won't disagree with you Chef. I have been asked many times to take the test for someone else, even for $$. I don't want to boat where that someone else is boating. I am amazed at the people I know personally that don't have a clue what the difference is between a red and Green channel marker. Usually the answer is I don't need to know that. OK then. But then you will always get people complaining how many times they have been pulled over for a safety check by the OPP and then complain some people on the water have no idea about boating.

I did my test at Don Hyde Marine. One big problem now is not many places you can go and learn some of the things on the test where questions can be asked and answered. I don't think many Marinas have the course available, not enough demand they say. Too bad, it should be mandatory to take a course, but it never will be.

I bet if I took a survey here along the lake the majority of people that have a boat and use it do not have their card and the OPP and Ministry know that. I wonder what the ratio is of the numbers of registered boats to the number of people that have a card is?

Yes, you need an operators card. I know some places like Bass Haven do the test right on the spot.
No you do not need a operator card t9 rent a road. You need to a safety checklist prior and it's only good for the duration of the rental

Does anyone know the answer why someone renting a boat doesn't need a card? The tourism groups in Ontario must have a fairly strong lobby. I sure wouldn't want to rent a boat to someone that doesn't know how to operate it, and one would think the Insurance companies would demand it from their insured operators regardless of the legislation.

No you do not need a operator card t9 rent a road. You need to a safety checklist prior and it's only good for the duration of the rental
Thats what I mistook for the operators card. It must be the checklist.
From Dennis @ Bass Haven....

"Boat Rentals....
....no Boaters Card?...NO PROBLEM...we do dockside testing that allows you to rent from us.
....all safety equipment supplied."

I agree with both you and @Polish-Newfie. I think the point @Polish-Newfie is trying to make is the requirements for the card are inadequate or way too easy to insure someone knows how to operate a boat safely. However we know the reality of life, there are no guarantees. A vehicle drivers license requirements are much stiffer than a boater's operator card in order to pass but one only needs to drive in London for 5 minuets to realize that 50% of those licensed drivers have no business being on the road. The same percentage applies to the licensed boaters I've seen in my experience on the water over the years. :D

I don't understand the card. I was operating a boat as part of my employment at 16. Then all of the sudden when I was 30 and had been boating my entire life, I wasn't legally capable any more. I switched to oars, and paddles. They can keep their plastic I'll keep my money, bonus quieter and more exercise.

Does anyone know the answer why someone renting a boat doesn't need a card? The tourism groups in Ontario must have a fairly strong lobby. I sure wouldn't want to rent a boat to someone that doesn't know how to operate it, and one would think the Insurance companies would demand it from their insured operators regardless of the legislation.

John -- think you hit the nail on the head. Understand that the rental exception was pushed through by those involved with rental of jet skis in resort areas -- would have put them out of business, which some might think would be a good thing.

Back