Dipsy Diver

hit and miss

New to this forum and heading to Erie the week after next and was wondering what size dipsys are most popular to use.

Hit and miss I would say the #1 dipsy would be most popular in black,clear, or green.

Size 1 with the snap on O-ring for most guys if you want to side plane them. Some run smaller ones off big boards straight back too. Black or clear (something unobtrusive) for walleye, match your brighter spoon colours for bows.

I run small dipsy off my big plainer boards. O setting straight back. tried a new lure for
me on Sunday, a worm burner by DW. You can troll up to 4 mph. with them. Only caught silver bass with it but will try again.

I run small dipsy off my big plainer boards. O setting straight back. tried a new lure for
me on Sunday, a worm burner by DW. You can troll up to 4 mph. with them. Only caught silver bass with it but will try again.

I ran those worm burners a few years ago and they killed, especially the blueberry muffin. Last couple of years, not so good and I haven't run them again. Maybe time to dust them off...

Hey good to know G.Mech, I will try the blueberry muffin next time out. Sometime get stuck on colours, and don't try other one. I always think of blueberry muffin and the BOQ.

i seem to be doing well on both#1 #0 dipsys set on 3 between 110 to 130 ft back.. good luck out there..

Today I had one Dipsy give me headaches. Every once and a while it would come up to the surface and skip across the water. Any reason why? Set at 3 125 feet back. Not really a thread hi jack, kinda related.

I just remembered I had the same problem with the same Dipsy last fall.

Today I had one Dipsy give me headaches. Every once and a while it would come up to the surface and skip across the water. Any reason why? Set at 3 125 feet back. Not really a thread hi jack, kinda related.

I had a nebie letting my dipsys out ...he took the clicker off cause didn't like noise(shouldnt been a problem) he was letting the line out to fast or something and they would flip while putting them out, causing them to track wrong way or come too the surface.....strange that u only have a problem with one though......maybe something is bent??? is your release still locked in when it comes too surface??

Make sure you keep tension on them all the way out or like @Puddle Jumper says they will flip and cause them to do that.

Funniest thing my son ever saw was the day I spent trying to figure out why one dipsy was fouling all my other lines. After the swearing was over (like 3 hours later) I figured out I was trying to launch a left set dipsy on the right side of the boat....never hurts to double check I guess. I'm pretty sure the kid set me up but it was good for a chuckle I guess.

If you are running a diving crankbait this may be causing the problem. the diving action will cause it to work against the diving action of the dipsey. just a thought.

I've had the same problem. Thought I may have ran too deep and bounced off bottom but letting out too fast makes more sense. Also had issue with which side is which, when done fishing I leave diver on the same side of boat as last trip. It does save about 3 hrs. of swearing.

Those dipsy and some use lead core must give you a good fight pulling in dead Walleye.:rolleyes::LOL:
Sooner catch a Sheephead.
Run straight line or braid, less problems

To each their own. They can be very productive if you learn how to use them especially running a 6 or 8 rod spread. I would toss my downriggers overboard before I gave up my dipsies.

I love my dipsy's, I catch majority of my walleye on them and have very few problems with them......plus allot less line to reel in than the leadcore
I perfer too mix up my setups and run a variety......usually 107 deep divers (dipsy) # 3 setting out each side, 84 deep diver on # 1 off back corner, then will run inline boards out each side with leadcore or clip weight, and lastly i run a 10 colour straight out the back or off corner ...
It all comes down too personal preference

I use dipsy for salmon and trout on lake O, but those are not so finical as walleyes. What is the advantage of using dipsys for walleyes when you're limited to the rod length leader? Lead core, planner boards combinations are , to me, much better options to avoid noise and vibrations.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks