Definitely a strong odor of SKUNK off the pier today .

• Thread starter Deleted member 5866
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5866

That headline about sums it up. Nice day but only 1 bite and that 1 bite was light, took the head off the minnow and left the rest.... and no further bites which = no fish........some boats coming in claimed they limited out on walleye, others said not so much. There was a Conservation Officer out in their boat checking the boats today, (I've only seen them once this year on the pier when I've been there) and there were a few boats in close (maybe 35-40 fow) southwest of the pier after perch (Assumed they were after perch since they weren't trolling)

I will likely try at least once more this year, maybe twice. My first trip down was in mid April and I've gone down at least once a week, occasionally twice since, and counting that first trip and then today, I have only been skunked 4 of the 29 trips I've made down to the lake.

I've caught a total of 166 fish so far this year, well below previous year totals. (yes I count any fish I catch, even if I throw it back, a fish is a fish even if it's not what I'm after) The perch have been very far and few between, the exception being a 2 week period (the last week of June and the first week of July,) but for the most part (especially since the second week of July) they have been stupid small and not big enough to consider keeping, in some cases my hooks and minnows have been bigger.

To put that into perspective, 103 of the 166 fish I've caught this year have been yellow perch, BUT only 70 of those yellows were worth keeping and of those yellows I caught worth keeping, 41 were caught on one day, July 6, when Misty River took me out in his boat. (that means all year I've only caught and kept 29 yellows off the pier worth keeping and threw back 33 that weren't.......2 years ago catching 29-50 perch worth keeping in a couple of hours off the pier was common) so it can be honestly said that it's been another terrible year off the Pt. Bruce pier.

So a big thank you again to Misty River for taking me out that day.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks