Decoy Question

can't miss

Living in a rural area, I keep a handful of " yard Turkeys ", mixed breed's, white, red, bourbon ect. They free range around the out building's, backyard and pasture.
Every few day's there is a trio of wild Tom's that come visiting, scrapping with my yard Tom's, dancing and gobbling, sometimes for hour's.
Now I am aware that it is illegal to hunt using live decoy's, so once the season open's, my question is, how far from my domestic's, would I be legal to hunt?? I have a ground blind I use for deer in the fall, about a half kilometer or so away, but on a still day can still here my flock.
Any opinions?

Interesting question ? I will guess at least 400 meters from your live birds. I am basing my "guess" on the distance you must be from a baited area. Call the MNR in Aylmer to get the answer that will matter most !

I think your fine right in the yard as it is a regular function of agricultural activity, like the spill of corn in a field from loading trailer from a combine. Technically a baited area, but since it is a natural accourence you can hunt over it.

Haven't seen the 3 big tom's for a couple day's, but you can still here them in the distance in the early am. Caught a shot of two jakes that won't stay away though, they hang around for hr's. Think my yard bird's are giving a salute after the latest battle.

Attachments

• IMG_1866 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1866 - Copy.JPG
    747.4 KB · Views: 43
although i don't know exact distance.......there is a minimum distance you must be away from dwelling's / buildings to legally discharge a firearm.....but have never heard of anyone being charged with that...since most farmers shooting nuisance animals or varmints around farm would be in vialation.....my gut says 100-150 yards ???

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks