Cleared a path

hey can't miss...don't forget the piano wire over the bird seed trick...lol

we have deer right now inside St.Thomas...I had a doe come right to and at my back door last winter....and my next door neighbour had one right down the driveway and cross the street to the old railway bed that runs east to west through our entire city...well after I did some deer tracking last winter I found several beds... and a couple right behind the beer store...these deer are back in town as I found deer tracks again wandering around behind the Briwood market on talbot st.....we had a good flock of Canada geese earlier in sept. roosting every day in a wet hole in the same spot...we have all the animals right in my neighbourhood via the old railway bed that has great bush & cover ...the turkeys are just on the edges of town...

Last edited:
My folks live just north of your quaint little village, soon as the snow gets deep, turkeys come to their back yard bird feeders. Close to a 1\2 mile from the bush out back to their house across open field. Pop's curses them, and I didn't believe it till I saw it happen, if they are not getting enough spilled seed on the ground, they fly into the bird feeder causing it to spill it's bounty. Old boy curses them, and then heads back out to re fill them, think really he likes seeing them?? Deer come from the same bush out back to their garden to root at anything remaining? Amazing how the critter's find food all the way across a open field?

This is a great example how natures animals come into our world...especially during the harder times of surviving winter.. alot of the animals are looking for food and shelter...our city is usually a couple degrees warmer then the surrounding rural locations..that alone attracts winter animals...and the whitetails they are foraging in town on are shrubs/fruit trees and in are gardens...

have you ever seen or heard of a whitetail deer follow behind a tractor on the same row and sometimes plowing out in the field.....well I have...sometimes to forage for food in the planting season...and in the summer months deer will follow a tractor just to cool there hooves from the turned over soil during the heat of the day..

What gets me is all the deer that come up from the kettle creek bottom to eat all the fresh cut flowers that are placed on the grave sites in the catholic cemetary out across from Lovedays gas station in the spring and summer..including my mothers grave and her parents grave..and to eat the flowers right off the stem placed on a grave and to leave deer droppings...that prompted me to do some scouting down on the flats adjacent to the cemetary and the numbers of deer I located in that area are way to many. My Aunt lives in a nice condo on the same side/area...she walks her dog and sees deer all the time..

Last edited:
I'm in Union, south of St.Thomas, and with the ponds and bush around us, the deer are thick. Our septic bed is on our front lawn, and there is green grass under the snow all winter. Lots of times in the early am when I get up for work I've had deer on the front yard pawing through the snow. We have a marsh at the back of our property and same thing..always something growing around the springs. Deer will get back there and stay if undisturbed.

I'm in the Ingersoll area, if your familiar with the turf, you know of the large quarry's out this way. Large fenced, protected, acreage's with yr round open water, reforested and agricultural ground. After 15+ yrs here in the local rural, it's clear most game animals winter there. Huge flock's of turkey's and enough deer you could say herd's. I'm about 7km away, and my bush, which spring, summer, fall, has game, becomes a ghost town come Jan. Come spring and the snow melted high spot's in the field's open up, in the protected quarry turf, easy to see 50+ deer and even more turkeys, as a hunter, great to see the high populations, but what I have heard and read, this isn't healthy for overall general health of population's of game.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks