Chicken Reuben

Mrs. Stomp

Staff member
We have Chicken Reuben a la @Way She Goes in the oven! I note 'we' because @stomp participated by accompanying me to the grocery store today which included driving around to find a store without a huge lineup just to get in. I'll stick to weekday grocery shopping. It's been a while since I bought sauerkraut, as in years, and I've never made Thousand Island dressing. Growing up I remember we always had 2 salad dressings at home - French and Thousand Island - now there's a million kinds. Not sure how our twenty-somethings will like the sauerkraut so @stomp will be donning his outdoor gear shortly to BBQ up some chicken for them. What's on the side tonight? Roasted potatoes - both white and sweet (same situation as @Hooked on Ice in our group with not everyone loving sweet potatoes), and some other roasted vegs (broccoli and mushrooms). Why are the majority of new veg recipes all about roasting? I need a bigger oven to hold all the 'sheet pans'!

Why are the majority of new veg recipes all about roasting?
Taste, texture would be my answer. Talking about Sauerkraut, brings back memories. My Mom used to make her own sauerkraut. She would make an awesome Sauerkraut Borsht. I should persuade her to make it for me one of these days, haven't had it in many years. Maybe better yet have her teach me how to make it, not sure that that is possible.

I used our own homemade kraut. Not that vinegar type from stores.
I have a group of 15 guys that make it in November, Were going to bag it in 4 weeks. 40 gallons. Hope it turns out for you.

Taste, texture would be my answer. Talking about Sauerkraut, brings back memories. My Mom used to make her own sauerkraut. She would make an awesome Sauerkraut Borsht. I should persuade her to make it for me one of these days, haven't had it in many years. Maybe better yet have her teach me how to make it, not sure that that is possible.
I have a group of 15 guys that make it in November, Were going to bag it in 4 weeks. 40 gallons. Hope it turns out for you.
@stomp and I loved the dish and so glad we made it and that you told us about it. One of our twenty somethings gave it a try and then devoured it as well. It was a store-bought can of kraut - it's been so long since I bought it, I remember it in bags in the cold section. It was pretty mild and did the trick. I have some leftover and was just going to eat it plain - cuz I like it. You must have some other ways to use it given making 40 gallons!

I googled a recipe for Sauerkraut Borscht and it looks like something @stomp and I would like.. it's on my to-do list. I don't typically cook with beets - I'm a bit clumsy and risk beet stains everywhere - but I do love them and planning to try and grow a few in my tiny garden this year.

I had a grandma who made her own Kraut, unfortunately the smell of the process wasn't appealing to me as a child and I've never gotten over it.

I'm also one of those whom Cilantro tastes like :poop:.

Wonder if the two are related?

You're missing out hvyhaul, Cilantro and Kraut are awesome.
I hear you @Hooked on Ice people tell me it's wonderful stuff but I am in the 4 - 14% of people who.....

From a Huffington Post article

"How cilantro tastes to you has a lot to do with your genes," says SciShow's Hank Green. He explains that after conducting a few separate studies, scientists were able to pin down most cilantro haters as people with a shared group of olfactory-receptor genes, called OR6A2, that pick up on the smell of aldehyde chemicals. Aldehyde chemicals are found in both cilantro and soap. Uh, yummy?

Apparently It's not personal or by choice.

@stomp and I had Sauerkraut Borscht for lunch. I wouldn't have thought to make it without you noting it...thanks @Hooked on Ice . Even though we loved it , likely not up to your Mom's version. Here's a pic of the end result. I try on the 'presentation' part of food... but not my skill area.

1613932472104.png

I won’t touch store bought ‘kraut. I was inspired by my better half’s friend to make our own garlic dill fermented cabbage and it turned out fantastic. Good thing because our first batch was 8 gallons. It becomes the star of anything you out it on. I highly recommend trying it out for yourself. Home hardware sells small crocks with lids and weights.

My mother makes the best sour krut and smoked sausage soup 🤤

Well, I finally got Mom's recipe for her version of "Sauerkraut Borsht".

1 Jar Sauerkraut
1/2 head of cabbage
1 bottle of sweet & sour sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oregano
2 bay leaves
a handful of parsley
2 large onions
Pork meat

She doesn't specify how big of a bottle of sweet & sour sauce. And as for the pork meat, I remember her using the tail or hocks. Some smoked pork might actually work well too. She normally doesn't use a recipe, goes by memory. She wrote this down as best she could for me a week or so ago when she made her last batch, she also gave me a jar full of freshly made Borsht. Her first language isn't English, so writing it out was a bit of a challenge for her. Thanks Mom.

Well, I finally got Mom's recipe for her version of "Sauerkraut Borsht".

1 Jar Sauerkraut
1/2 head of cabbage
1 bottle of sweet & sour sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oregano
2 bay leaves
a handful of parsley
2 large onions
Pork meat

She doesn't specify how big of a bottle of sweet & sour sauce. And as for the pork meat, I remember her using the tail or hocks. Some smoked pork might actually work well too. She normally doesn't use a recipe, goes by memory. She wrote this down as best she could for me a week or so ago when she made her last batch, she also gave me a jar full of freshly made Borsht. Her first language isn't English, so writing it out was a bit of a challenge for her. Thanks Mom.
Recipes that come from memory and years of making are the best! I appreciate you taking the time to get the recipe from your mom.. and thank you to your mom from me too!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks