Broadheads Fixed VS. Mechanical

Edmcl

Last Falls deer season I took a nice buck from my stand . When I took this clear shot I was so surprised at the distance the adrenalin carried this buck . Shot was placed through the top left shoulder diagonal through the lungs … In the pic below you can see how hard this fixed bladed tip hit and how disfigured it became inside the buck . So this year I decided to change to mechanical points Grim Reapers to have a quicker kill … Just wondering to the group on any thought that are out there …….one shot one kill...

20191010_181247.jpg

Just the quality of material used for the broad head, those look like some old school ones my dad had laying around from the 90's. I had a excalibur bolt cutter head burry in a tree after going through a turkey and the only thing that need replacing was the blades the ferrule was perfect.

They were 4 years old those fixed broad heads and did the trick but as you can see that broadhead realy took a beating

Attachments

• 20181029_060454.jpeg
    20181029_060454.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 33
I would suggest it is the quality of the broadhead you are using, not the fact that it is fixed blade. They appear to be identical to the cheapest broadheads sold at Canadian Tire (https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mossy-oak-3-blade-low-profile-broadhead-3-pk-0758050p.html#srp). Old technology as stated above.

I seriously doubt you would see that kind of damage on a higher quality fixed blade with better steel, take a look at the G5 Montec or any Slicktricks. You are kidding yourself if you think mechanicals will hold up better through hard impacts resulting in a quicker kill.

Muzzy Muzzy Muzzy. Ive tried most brands over the last 30 years and keep shooting Muzzys..100 gr . Chisel tip replaceable 3 blade. You can get them in 75, 90, 100, and 125 gr. they tune great and go not come apart...ever.
I have friends that swear by mechanicals, and they do work great...sometimes...but Ive seen them self destruct. They can tune like field points...but who hunts with field points?
I shot a big bodied buck a number of years back...225+lbs. 30 yards but hit a bit forward. Blew both shoulders apart, complete pass through. Found the busted arrow but the broadhead was like new. I put fresh blades on it and away it went.

I think that one has to take into the initial thickness of the thickness of the leading edge of the broadhead with how much strength the initial damage that can occur followed up by the expansion of the cut by means of mechanical or fixed blades … replacement or rebuild is not the question but what product will inflict the best hemorrhaging for blood loss to put the target down fast and humane as the ctc broad head is only slightly over 1 inch and bassboy ctc will love you for the plug of there product . The fixed blade is only just over one inch and the mechanical is 1-3/8 with a thicker leading shaft so with that said the kinetic energy will have a bigger punch would stand to reason .

Attachments

• 20191011_221649.jpg
    20191011_221649.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
Edit: Replaced with link to article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent post GPS à good take on This subject. I think i have made thé right decion To change over To a mechinical Broadway head ....and great reply from other membres

I’ve been shooting mechanicals out of my compound now for 15yrs after fixed blades. Never had an issue with them but thought I’d give mechanicals a go. Started with rage and switched to grim reapers about 6yrs ago. I have shot likely 30 animals(deer/moose/bear) now with mechanicals and have recovered every single one. Huge bull at 47yds pass thru cutting two ribs. Broadhead was poking 2” out other side.

All depends on the shot and what it hits. Nothing does well on shoulders and in a perfect world every shot would be broadside and 15yds. I can’t say they are any better than fixed but I’ve had good success and besides the odd broken blade to replace haven’t had a failure or damage to speak of. I’ve tested many types over the years and comes down to having confidence in whatever it is you chose and shot placement. Cut on contacts have their advantages and I’ve swore by them in the past, but on quartering shots I’d take a chisel tip mechanical all the time.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks