Body bait depth with downrigger

Mfisch2003

Wondering if a body bait trolled from a downrigger will achieve the same depth as if it's flatlined? If a 20ft depth bait is trolled down 20 ft on a cannon ball, will it run another 20ft down to 40ft?

That's a good question, i would think to achieve that depth off the ball, you would need a very long leed, perhaps 120-150' back? I also think you would need to clip your line in deeper then usual too, which may effect your rod release when a fish hits

Last edited:
All depends on your lead From the ball . No way it will dive much deeper with a small lead . Line size and type also play a part . Check out the precision trolling app or book. It will have all your answers

Say precision trolling says x amount of line to get 20ft. If you let that x amount then attach to ball. Will you get your 2o ft down from cannon ball if say you let cannon ball down 20 ft??

do it the way everyone should and set up your rig and head shallow till it hits bottom then u know how deep it is way wiser then trying to do the math I have a log book 5 foot depth changes from 20 feet to 100 speeds from 1.8 to 4 mph at .5 mph diffrence swith spoons diffrent size and shape and another with body baits run a 20 foot floro leeder with lead core 3 5 100 foot between and 7 3 200 foot between streight 10 as well as a book with the down riggers took a whole summer of playing on way back from trips but it's all done now and I can be sure I am within 2 feet of where I want my lure I only run bare hooks no worm just smear on the burkely stink

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks