Off Topic Avian Flu Warning ?

Old Cut LongPointer

Brampton and Halton have reported dead geese caused by Avian Flu and has issued alerts to avoid contact with any dead birds found. This means people but be extra careful when out with your dog(s) also. As we all know Norfolk County and especially the marshes of Turkey Point and Long Point are major Spring migration staging areas for all kinds of birds and we may well be next ?

If you've got backyard hens you should be extra diligent this time of year to protect your flock, and in fall migration too. Clean your boots or have dedicated coop boots, take in your bird feeders to discourage wild birds lingering in the yard.

We have 2 active cases of HPAI in the province currently.

It is not a human health hazard.
@Tyler0420 So not as of yet 😊 They are tracking it to be sure.

This bird virus (influenza) can affect all bird types and is easily transmitted in commercial flocks due to the number of birds in barns and proximity to other barns in high agricultural areas. As a Turkey farmer I’m being instructed to wash my hands after being in the barn and handling dead animals (duh). Always change boots when entering barns and never mix cloths worn during outdoor activities and barn cloths.

It won’t hurt dogs either or cause all birds infected to die. It’s SCARY for me as a turkey producer. I have 25 000 birds on farm at any given time and the total sum of birds in production would be euthanized if transmitted to my barns. They have shown evidence of birds carrying the virus on their feet and are testing to see how long the virus lasts in water. Again not harmful to drink unless you are a bird.

Anyone who has outdoor flocks needs to monitor the bird’s health always but especially in spring and fall. Any irregular deaths should be reported.

If anyone needs more information on this I would be happy to help 😊 I have been in the quarantine zone twice and keep up to date.

Family, food, farm and fishing when I can

Dan

Thanks Fishing or Farming ! I. like most people have little knowledge of Avian Flu other than it 's bad (deadly) for birds and after what we have gone through with Covid-19 probably has most of us tweeked when a strange flu comes along. As a waterfowler I've been aware of Avian flu for some time now and how it could affect my hobby and after reading reports of turkey farms being shut down and all the birds having to be disposed of is not only bad news for the farmer but consumer alike.

Again, if you come across a lot of dead birds stay away from them and report it right away to your local health unit.

@Tyler0420 So not as of yet 😊 They are tracking it to be sure.

This bird virus (influenza) can affect all bird types and is easily transmitted in commercial flocks due to the number of birds in barns and proximity to other barns in high agricultural areas. As a Turkey farmer I’m being instructed to wash my hands after being in the barn and handling dead animals (duh). Always change boots when entering barns and never mix cloths worn during outdoor activities and barn cloths.

It won’t hurt dogs either or cause all birds infected to die. It’s SCARY for me as a turkey producer. I have 25 000 birds on farm at any given time and the total sum of birds in production would be euthanized if transmitted to my barns. They have shown evidence of birds carrying the virus on their feet and are testing to see how long the virus lasts in water. Again not harmful to drink unless you are a bird.

Anyone who has outdoor flocks needs to monitor the bird’s health always but especially in spring and fall. Any irregular deaths should be reported.

If anyone needs more information on this I would be happy to help 😊 I have been in the quarantine zone twice and keep up to date.

Family, food, farm and fishing when I can

Dan
@fishing or farming I go through the same protocol as you when entering the chicken barn. There could be 22,000-28,000 chickens in the barn and if I have to go inside I must change my clothing and there is a pair of boots dedicated to me only. I have to wash thoroughly upon entry into the office and when I leave.
I try to stay away unless my help is needed inside. I prefer looking after the beef cattle instead, approx 250 head
The barn is ready for another flock of birds
8DAE6C27-6328-4F1B-AA62-CE4B66859023.jpeg

As it may sound a little weird, I do like pushing the chicken manure after the chickens have been taken for processing😂😂. This is a 500’ push out of the barn to the bunker.
Jim
View attachment IMG_2743.MOV

@fishing or farming I go through the same protocol as you when entering the chicken barn. There could be 22,000-28,000 chickens in the barn and if I have to go inside I must change my clothing and there is a pair of boots dedicated to me only. I have to wash thoroughly upon entry into the office and when I leave.
I try to stay away unless my help is needed inside. I prefer looking after the beef cattle instead, approx 250 head
The barn is ready for another flock of birds
View attachment 71380

As it may sound a little weird, I do like pushing the chicken manure after the chickens have been taken for processing😂😂. This is a 500’ push out of the barn to the bunker.
Jim
View attachment 71381
That's a sweet setup, I run 5 turkey 🦃 barns, 3 two story barns and 2 single 400'ers everything is the same except we put starter feed on egg trays.

Old cut are the deaths avian flu or botulism? Talked w an outfitter in Eastern ont last week during a slow snow goose hunt and he said Cdn wildlife service were testing ducks and geese they harvested last fall for flu and botulism. Nearly all the ducks and geese had avian flu but no botulism. Said that if u go to a big roost u always find birds dead from flu. I dont blame chicken/turkey farmers for being cautious when its that common in the wild.

News reports stated they tested positive for Avian Flu but did not state what strain it was and botulism usually occurs in warmer temperature waters ( late Summer/early Fall ). The CWS banned feeding ponds/areas last year as a precaution and no doubt will again this year. As we know from our recent Covid-19 episode that for some it's deadly, others get sick but recover and yet others feel nothing but may well be carriers but I am not a doctor/scientist just a generalization. Also we know that virus's can or will mutate and that's a concern. I believe the prime concern right now is the spread of Avian Flu and how it could effect the poultry industry but if you cook your birds properly ( be them wild or backyard raised ) that shouldn't be a problem.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks