As promised from a the thread "Anyone need some Prime Rib?"

Trevor M

As promised in the other thread in the fishing report section, here's the pictures of supper tonight.

So it's Prime Rib with some potatoes I beat up, corn, gravy and Yorkies (Yorkshire pudding.) For dessert my mom came by the other day and left us two of her homemade Cherry Cheesecakes.

I seasoned the PR with a VERY light brushed on layer of french's mustard on the fat cap which was sufficiently removed that I didn't have to remove more (and I do mean a light coating.) Then I sprinkled a few shots of Lea & Perrins, a few pinches of Rosemary, pepper, season salt, garlic powder, onion powder, Keg Steak Spice and before I put it in the roaster I lined the bottom with chopped red onion, celery and carrots, then added a 1/4 cup beef stock and 1 1/2 shots of red wine. (makes a VERY nice gravy.) I cooked it covered in the oven at 325F for 1 1/2 hours then uncovered it turned the heat up to 400F and cooked it for another 1/2 hour at that temp. Outside pieces were a perfect well done for my wife while the middle was a perfect medium rare for me. Not sure what I'm going to do with the leftovers, I'll figure that out tomorrow.

Here's the Yorkie Recipe. (I made the batter this morning at 9ish and let it sit until I was ready to make them around 3) When they were done I took'em out and let them sit putting what we were going to eat with supper back in to get warm when I took the PR out to rest and finished up with the potatoes before carving and serving the PR.

4 large eggs (200g; 7 ounces)
150g all-purpose flour (5.25 ounces; about 1 cup plus 2 teaspoons)
175g whole milk (6 ounces; 3/4 cup) (see note)
25g water (.85 ounces; 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons) (see note)
2g salt (about 1/2 teaspoon)
100ml beef drippings, lard, shortening, or vegetable oil (about 1/2 cup

Combine eggs, flour, milk, water, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk until a smooth batter is formed. Let batter rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. Alternatively, for best results, transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate batter overnight or for up to 3 days. Remove from refrigerator while you preheat the oven.

Adjust oven rack to center position and preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Divide drippings (or other fat) evenly between two 8-inch cast iron or oven-safe non-stick skillets, two 6-well popover tins (see note), one 12-well standard muffin tin, or one 24-well mini muffin tin. Preheat in the oven until the fat is smoking hot, about 10 minutes.

Transfer the pans or tins to a heat-proof surface (such as an aluminum baking sheet on your stovetop), and divide the batter evenly between every well (or between the two pans if using pans). The wells should be filled between 1/2 and 3/4 of the way (if using pans, they should be filled about 1/4 of the way). Immediately return to oven. Bake until the yorkshire puddings have just about quadrupled in volume, are deep brown all over, crisp to the touch, and sound hollow when tapped. Smaller ones will take about 15 minutes, popover- or skillet-sized ones will take around 25 minutes.

Serve immediately, or cool completely, transfer to a zipper-lock freezer bag, and freeze for up to 3 months. Reheat in a hot toaster oven before serving.

We haven't had dessert yet. Kind of full still. ;)

Attachments

• Easter 2021 Prime Rib with the fixings and a treat from my mom of her homemade cherry cheeseca...jpg
    Easter 2021 Prime Rib with the fixings and a treat from my mom of her homemade cherry cheeseca...jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Easter 2021 Prime Rib with the fixings and a treat from my mom of her homemade cherry cheeseca...jpg
    Easter 2021 Prime Rib with the fixings and a treat from my mom of her homemade cherry cheeseca...jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 32
    97.3 KB · Views: 37
    71 KB · Views: 39
So glad I had filled my belly before you posted @Trevor M LOL.

Sounds detailed, but looks delicious. :giggle: 😁
No not really all that much to do it. Like a turkey dinner, can do it in my sleep. Trying to explain what I did with it tho, yeah that takes a bit more detail, especially when giving a recipe. I mean I could have just posted the pics, but if someone wants or wanted the recipe for the Yorkies, or wanted to know how I did the meat, well....kind of pre-emptive to provide that kind of info when I make the original post right especially if I'm not on or around to be on that much because of honey do lists or God forbid I get my ass out of the house and go fishin (which that time is coming, and it's coming soon) ;)

As promised in the other thread in the fishing report section, here's the pictures of supper tonight.

So it's Prime Rib with some potatoes I beat up, corn, gravy and Yorkies (Yorkshire pudding.) For dessert my mom came by the other day and left us two of her homemade Cherry Cheesecakes.

I seasoned the PR with a VERY light brushed on layer of french's mustard on the fat cap which was sufficiently removed that I didn't have to remove more (and I do mean a light coating.) Then I sprinkled a few shots of Lea & Perrins, a few pinches of Rosemary, pepper, season salt, garlic powder, onion powder, Keg Steak Spice and before I put it in the roaster I lined the bottom with chopped red onion, celery and carrots, then added a 1/4 cup beef stock and 1 1/2 shots of red wine. (makes a VERY nice gravy.) I cooked it covered in the oven at 325F for 1 1/2 hours then uncovered it turned the heat up to 400F and cooked it for another 1/2 hour at that temp. Outside pieces were a perfect well done for my wife while the middle was a perfect medium rare for me. Not sure what I'm going to do with the leftovers, I'll figure that out tomorrow.

Here's the Yorkie Recipe. (I made the batter this morning at 9ish and let it sit until I was ready to make them around 3) When they were done I took'em out and let them sit putting what we were going to eat with supper back in to get warm when I took the PR out to rest and finished up with the potatoes before carving and serving the PR.

4 large eggs (200g; 7 ounces)
150g all-purpose flour (5.25 ounces; about 1 cup plus 2 teaspoons)
175g whole milk (6 ounces; 3/4 cup) (see note)
25g water (.85 ounces; 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons) (see note)
2g salt (about 1/2 teaspoon)
100ml beef drippings, lard, shortening, or vegetable oil (about 1/2 cup

Combine eggs, flour, milk, water, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk until a smooth batter is formed. Let batter rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. Alternatively, for best results, transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate batter overnight or for up to 3 days. Remove from refrigerator while you preheat the oven.

Adjust oven rack to center position and preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Divide drippings (or other fat) evenly between two 8-inch cast iron or oven-safe non-stick skillets, two 6-well popover tins (see note), one 12-well standard muffin tin, or one 24-well mini muffin tin. Preheat in the oven until the fat is smoking hot, about 10 minutes.

Transfer the pans or tins to a heat-proof surface (such as an aluminum baking sheet on your stovetop), and divide the batter evenly between every well (or between the two pans if using pans). The wells should be filled between 1/2 and 3/4 of the way (if using pans, they should be filled about 1/4 of the way). Immediately return to oven. Bake until the yorkshire puddings have just about quadrupled in volume, are deep brown all over, crisp to the touch, and sound hollow when tapped. Smaller ones will take about 15 minutes, popover- or skillet-sized ones will take around 25 minutes.

Serve immediately, or cool completely, transfer to a zipper-lock freezer bag, and freeze for up to 3 months. Reheat in a hot toaster oven before serving.

We haven't had dessert yet. Kind of full still. ;)
@Trevor M I'm going to try your Yorkshire recipe this weekend. My mom would always make the Yorkshire ahead of time and let it sit, but I don't have her recipe. Also going to try 1/2 in the cast iron pan (which is now sticking much less thanks to Galley Forum tips) and 1/2 in muffins pans.

@Trevor M I'm going to try your Yorkshire recipe this weekend. My mom would always make the Yorkshire ahead of time and let it sit, but I don't have her recipe. Also going to try 1/2 in the cast iron pan (which is now sticking much less thanks to Galley Forum tips) and 1/2 in muffins pans.
I didn't decide I was going to do Yorkies until that morning when I woke up. Had I decided earlier I would have made the batter the day before and let it sit overnight for even better results.

I kind of created a monster now tho. That was the first time my wife had ever had Yorkshire Pudding. She dropped a couple strong hints that I should make them more often.;):nailbiting::ROFLMAO:

Last night was the night to try out @Trevor M 's Yorkshire pudding recipe and it was a huge hit! I made it the day before and refrigerated overnight. I tried the cast iron skillet thing as well as some muffin tins and they all puffed up beautifully and were delish. My only regret is no pics. (y)

@Mrs. Stomp, happy you tried it and glad it was a success. Please make sure you let @stomp know that in addition to and aside from that little list in another thread, (he'll know what I'm talking about ;)) please let him know that I KNOW what I'm doing in the kitchen. 😊

I was going to try your recipe @Trevor M
We cooked up a delicious prime rib roast a few days ago...
but I have a handful of the packaged Yorkshire pudding that expire next month so I had to use them up...
Glad I don’t need to use these packages anymore..
I think they are good
But I’m sure they will not compare to a home made recipe!

I was going to try your recipe @Trevor M
We cooked up a delicious prime rib roast a few days ago...
but I have a handful of the packaged Yorkshire pudding that expire next month so I had to use them up...
Glad I don’t need to use these packages anymore..
I think they are good
But I’m sure they will not compare to a home made recipe!
You'll prefer the homemade to the store bought. Cheaper to make than to buy. Flour, eggs, milk, water, salt and the drippings from your roast, or if you do what I did, a little vegetable or canola oil and make them ahead of time, then just put however many you require back in on the rack you have the roaster on for a few minutes before serving.

Back