Any heavy metal lovers out there?

Mrs. Stomp

Staff member
Not this kind of heavy metal…

but this kind…

IMG_0872.jpg

Santa delivered to me 2 cast iron frying pans for Christmas – a grill pan and a regular flat bottom one. They are Lodge brand and come pre-seasoned. The grill pan does a great job with bacon and chicken thighs, but most things I cook in the flat bottom pan stick unless I use tons of oil. I don’t scrub them furiously, don’t use soap, ensure they are dried after using and have re-seasoned both of them, but still lots of stuck-on food.

I’m a newbie at cast iron cooking so I’d appreciate any tips from the pros!

You mean this type of metal?

hvmtl.jpg

Yup, big fan, but they are not nearly the quality of days of old and require continuous maintenance.

I had a Chef buddy who seasoned with salt and then an oil application at the end. Now it's just cover in oil and bake and bake and bake.

Maybe have a look a this process. They say initial seasoning is a multiple process, not a single one.

Serious Eats Article

Some pretty good comments on seasoning Included below the article.

From personal experience, nothing, not even your oil goes in until the pan is at cooking temps.

Clean up is easier if done when still quite warm.

Last edited:
You mean this type of metal?

View attachment 38253

Yup, big fan, but they are not nearly the quality of days of old and require continuous maintenance.

I had a Chef buddy who seasoned with salt and then an oil application at the end. Now it's just cover in oil and bake and bake and bake.

Maybe have a look a this process. They say initial seasoning is a multiple process, not a single one.

Serious Eats Article

Some pretty good comments on seasoning Included below the article.

From personal experience, nothing, not even your oil goes in until the pan is at cooking temps.

Clean up is easier if done when still quite warm.
Great learnings for me. I will repeat the oven seasoning process multi times rather than once (this time putting tin foil on the cookie sheet in the oven so @stomp doesn't have to have a full upper body workout cleaning the stuck-on oil drips from the sheet).

The article also says to buff off the oil after applying it to avoid globs of oil that can become points of sticky food which I haven't been doing, and yes, I'm guilty of putting oil in the cold pan.

Thank you!!

Yes we love our cast. Just last week did a complete grind down with a 5' flap disc to start over seasoning our big frypan. I treat three times. Put oil on in light even coat and it shouldn't drip.

Go to reddit/r/castiron for expert advice.

Next best thing to BBQ.

htdg.jpgsjmt.jpgtsbns.jpg

Now that all the ice on the BBQ cover has finally melted, it will go into hi usage.

Hate to break it to you @Mrs. Stomp but fluffy pink guitars are far from heavy metal.
The fuzzy guitar goes well with my fuzzy slippers!

Fuzzy Slippers GIF by Chippy the Dog

I always found that when using any frying pan, but especially a cast iron one, even if well and properly seasoned, make sure that it's properly heated before adding a light coating of oil for whatever it is you're cooking in it. Rule of thumb, if what you're intending to cook doesn't sizzle and continue to sizzle when you put it in, it's NOT hot enough to cook with yet.

We don't have any cast iron at home, my wife might be tempted to pull the "you don't have a cousin Larry" scene from 'throw momma from the train', on me, so it's a self preservation type thing:ROFLMAO:, but I used them a lot in industry years ago.

The other thing I learned when I first started cooking in industry when it came to meat of any kind be it on a grill, a flat top, or in a frying pan, if it sticks, it's too soon to flip it. But the trick is knowing when to flip it without burning it, and that takes lots and lots and lots of practice.

I always found that when using any frying pan, but especially a cast iron one, even if well and properly seasoned, make sure that it's properly heated before adding a light coating of oil for whatever it is you're cooking in it. Rule of thumb, if what you're intending to cook doesn't sizzle and continue to sizzle when you put it in, it's NOT hot enough to cook with yet.

We don't have any cast iron at home, my wife might be tempted to pull the "you don't have a cousin Larry" scene from 'throw momma from the train', on me, so it's a self preservation type thing:ROFLMAO:, but I used them a lot in industry years ago.

The other thing I learned when I first started cooking in industry when it came to meat of any kind be it on a grill, a flat top, or in a frying pan, if it sticks, it's too soon to flip it. But the trick is knowing when to flip it without burning it, and that takes lots and lots and lots of practice.
I'm working on my practice! and also working on not dropping the thing on our floor - darn thing is heavy

I'm working on my practice! and also working on not dropping the thing on our floor - darn thing is heavy
Better the floor than your foot. Another golden rule of the kitchen, if it's falling, LET IT FALL. I've seen some pretty nasty cuts caused by people trying to catch a knife that was falling.

I've already had to replace a ceramic floor tile due to a pizza stone unexpectedly rolling out of an elevated cupboard and landing vertically.

Tough stone, still in use and doesn't even show evidence of the landing.

Not interested in finding out how much damage cast iron can do.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks