Another oddball duck to add to the list

Nice duck.
Are there any ducks you’re not allowed to shoot?

Had a layout day a few years back that we shot all 3 Scooter species and a day 2 years ago we could have shot a 4 man limit of them they were that thick. So no surprise here.

I remember Fred Skuse who worked at the Management Unit at the park in the mid 70's, called them " CNR Ducks " cause you needed a freight train to pull the feathers off, guess they were a tough pluck.

I have seen lots of them on the outside but never so early in the season. Many years ago we launched off the beach one day and took a layout on the lake side. There were hundreds and hundreds of scooters out there that day. Based on their table reputation we never shoot any.

Had two females fly over my boat while perch fishing a little east of Shady Akers on October 5th. Surprised to see them this early in the season. Often see them, especially males, when fishing Bluff Bar in April. Have never shot one here in Ontario but I did get a few in Quebec and can confirm Singlemalt's statement that their reputation as table fare is earned. Good luck plucking it.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks