Costa Rica fishing

Joey D

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Since it's so cold and the soft water fishing season seems so far away, I thought I'd share a fishing trip I took in Costa Rica recently.

My wife and I just took our belated honeymoon in Costa Rica. Being the sweetheart she is, we scheduled in a couple days of fishing.

The first day we fished offshore targeting sailfish. After about an hour run out to the fishing grounds we were instantly on fish. The captain and mates were impressive fishermen working all the lines and getting the baits to the sailfish as soon as a fish would rise or the captain would spot one.

Over the day we hooked up with 10 sailfish and brought 9 to the boat to be released. We had a few more fish rise and would occasionally see a second sailfish swimming behind the boat while were fighting one. It's very exciting fishing to say the least. They jump completely out of the water several times and often they clear the surface just 20-30 feet of the boat.

The second day we fished inshore targeting rooster fish, jacks and snook. Unfortunately it was a little slow but we still caught two small rooster fish and a four jacks. All very fun to catch.

It is great fun and I would highly recommend fishing in Costa Rica if you ever get the chance. I could catch sailfish all day long and never get bored of it.

Enjoy the pictures.

-Joe
Typical sailfish for the day:
image.jpg
One of two small rooster fish we caught on a double header:
image.jpg
Another sail:
image.jpg A great shot of my wife and a beautiful sailfish. The pictures don't do these fish justice. They're amazing.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Great pics sure beats freezing your butt off at home and nice of your wife to make time for fishing on your trip.

Great Pics We also did a Costa Rica trip , things were slow 1 to the boat ,raised 5 and lost 1 . Kept a wa hoo , Did a inshore also alot of Black finned Tuna and Amber Jacks We fished Tamarindo , where abouts did you fish from ? From what we where told the Marlin and sail fish where still moving up the coast , South was doing well. We were about a week early or the fish a week late

@Cuttin Bait, we stayed in Manuel Antonio and fished out of Quepos which is quite a bit more south than Tamarindo.

The charter I fished with posts daily reports on their website so you can see how many fish are caught everyday, as far back as three years ago. They seem to catch plenty of sailfish from December through to April with the odd marlin in the mix. Sailfish seems quite a bit more prevalent on the south-central pacific coast. A big blue marlin is definitely next on the fishing bucket list.

The Marlin was great , 200 lb The one that got off after a 5 min was huge , the crews estimate was in the 300 plus range . Looked like the size of a whale when it cleared the water. Great Holiday , Hot , Nice place , good food ,cold beer . and 1 checked off the bucket list . I m going back

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks