Hotlinefishing update

Hotlinefishing

Hello Everyone,

I apologize for not providing my updates over the last few weeks but the conditions for me have remained much the same for the last 3 weeks. The conditions have changed slightly but there have been more walleye moving closer to Port Bruce and the catch rates have been excellent. My tactics have included some adjustment to my Raymarine E80 fishfinder which allows it to mark fish at 35mph as well as the thermocline. I usually run out to an area and look for the thermocline to be below 35 feet (yesterday it was at 38 feet where I was fishing. I have been fishing an area from 4 miles east of Bruce to approx 10 miles west on any given day. My lures of choice have been large body baits such as LiveTarget, Tail Dancers, Custom painted (warrior) husky jerks and reef runners. On dark days I run purples and golds and on bright days silver blue, copper and also golds. These baits have been firing on 4 or 6 color leadcore depending upon the day. On many trips I have been getting 30-35 hookups before 1:00 p.m.
IMG_00000026.jpg IMG_00000033.jpg IMG_00000022.jpg IMG_00000024.jpg IMG_00000037.jpg IMG_00000041.jpg IMG-20140717-00095.jpg
If I get into a bunch of silver bass I pull the boards and run 2-5 miles east or west or drive from 58 feet to approx 63 feet scanning my sonar. When I find a good group of walleye the action starts right away and sometimes I can't get more than 6 rods out.

I saw a question about release clips and there are some pictures showing the foolproof type that I use. Please drop by my vessel at North Erie Marina and I would be happy to show you what I have been using for clips as well as the lure selection.

Well, I hope this information helps you a bit. I have been seeing too many disappointed anglers coming in lately and saying there is no fish in the lake. With a little work I am sure most folks will be happy with their results.

John
Hotlinefishing.com

Question John? Have you been using big dipseys and also riggers on your recent outings! Speed you are going and also your depths of choice would also be greatly appreciated! Thanks John. Walleyeman!

Walleyeman,

When I am fishing with smaller groups (2-3) I usually run all leadcores if I can get them all firing. I normally run dipseys on one side or both sides with larger groups. Since I use a variety of body baits with different diving depths I can get them dialed in once that I have found the exact depth they are diving and the color of choice with the leadcores. The baits will not dive as deep when pulling down the leadcore so reduce the diving depth by 40-50 percent. Therefore a bait that typically dives around 10 feet will dive around 6 feet. I try to put the baits approx 3 feet above where the fish are marking on the graph. It is easier me to duplicate this one I have them dialed in. For example if I start hitting them on the large lip livetarget instead of the small lip I will change the baits on one side of the boat to match. Once I get them all firing I will make the changes on the other side. I usually troll at 2.4-2.6 mph on my Depthraider which would be around 2.8-3.1 mph on the GPS.
As far as the depths go I usually start a north south troll on an angle such as 57-62 feet and mark the hits on my fishfinder. I will then start a grid pattern on the way back until I establish the size of the school east/west and north/south. I hope that this helps since it may sound confusing.

Cheers,

John

If you dont mind me asking, would that be a planer board reel and a super snubber and if so would it be possible to get a better picture of the set up you are using, as i would like to get something similar on the boat i will be aquiring, i really dont want to have to run to far away from the wheel to get my clips hooked up.

great advice as I will take what I can.
its good to be apart of a group where questions are asked and answers are provided with no backlash. keep it up guys.

Hi Smokey1,

My planer board reel as well as the pulley system and attachments are custom made out of machined aluminum. It would be best to drop by my vessel at Port Bruce and I can give you some advice on my setup.

Cheers,

John

it looks very nice, going to try and get down there to look them over. just going to have to catch you not fishing.:)
hope fully i can catch you between your charters perhaps tomorrow.

Very nice of you to offer all these great tips. It must have been a different white charter boat out of North Erie that swamped us last summer in the creek.

John, i just wanted to say thanks again for letting look at you set up. i took a bit for it to finally sink in what was on there but i figured out the pieces for the most part.

When running leadcore with spoons how long are your leaders? The guys at Angling outfitters were telling me if your running leadcore with spoons, you don't want a leader any longer then 6' since you will loose the snaky action of the leadcore. And if your using body baits on your leadcore the leader length doesn't matter as much, you could get away with running a 25' leader. Right now all my leadcore poles are set up with a 25 - 35' leader.

Hey Corey06,

I have been running 30 feet floro leaders for years and have not noticed any problem with lure action. I cut off about 6 feet every 2-3 trips so that way I have some left for a couple of weeks. I have been running about 90 percent body baits for the last couple of seasons.

Cheers,

John

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks