Great Lake Ice Coverage

fishsmith

This is a graphic from the Detroit free press
1959465_10152323861655530_54634474_n.jpg

I was on up at Leland on Lake Michigan 2 weeks ago. There were 30ft+ ice hills near shore and ice as far as you could see until a 40-50mph wind from the SW opened it up on the other side of the ice wall. The ice was 16 inches thick and then it was pretty much gone. Those winds have been making the wall bigger -- amazing to see. Remarkable winter. Which I am now bored with.

If there's a fast thaw especially with heavy rains this spring there certainly could be massive damage done there's so much ice. My father was the original owner of Bee-Lin Trailer Park in Port Bruce during the 70's when there was severe damage from the ice. The ice would pile farther up Catfish Creek creating a dam then let go in a wall of water and ice plowing all the way down to the lake. Anything in it's path got demolished or further back from the creek was flooded. So I know residents there will be holding their collective breaths as will anyone elsewhere that lives near the lakes or on their tributaries come spring. Let's all hope it's a gradual slow thaw.

Looks like the old girl is warming up her vocal chords. Bit of east wind has got some things moving today. Still very tight in the west and east ends of the Lake.

Attachments

• Lake Erie March 6th.jpg
    Lake Erie March 6th.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 30
Looks like the old girl is warming up her vocal chords. Bit of east wind has got some things moving today. Still very tight in the west and east ends of the Lake.

Pardon the pun but I'm hoping for a little more of you "SOUTHWIND". (y)

just watched that video and it kind of gives you the creeps the way its moving like that.i grew up watching the ice burgs go by our house but that's crazy when its trying to come in the front door lol

Drove port bruce to port Stanley yesterday along lake shore a lot of blue water a few miles out then ice as far as you can see.Equipment on shore along the channel close to the pier to break ice when it's time in pt.bruce.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks