Burwell Aug. 11. Never hooked whiskers before.

Monks240

What a great day out of Burwell.

Ran out to 59 FOW, lines in. Trolled in between 59 and 62 FOW. Had riggers at 30 and 40 feet down.

Dipsys seemed to outperform today at 90-120 feet back on number 3 setting.

Got a 3 man limit in about 3 hours and threw a bunch of smallies back.

Most exciting part of the day was when port side dipsy hit hard and then just started peeling line and thrashing. After a pretty exhilarating fight we pulled this into the boat. I've never caught one of these on a dipsy before. It weighed in at 10 pounds.

Attachments

• IMG-20230811-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20230811-WA0011.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 134
We got a cat a few years back out of Glasgow. It was on a lead core so I let my buddy grab it. Didn’t weigh it but it must have been close to 15 pounds. It was awesome.

I couldn't imagine a 15 pounder. My cousin struggled getting the 10 pounder to the side of the boat. He was seated in the recovery position for a solid 20 minutes after the fight lol.

I couldn't imagine a 15 pounder. My cousin struggled getting the 10 pounder to the side of the boat. He was seated in the recovery position for a solid 20 minutes after the fight lol.
Got this one trolling at Glasgow in 2021. I wanted it out of the boat ASAP so didn't weigh it but was at least 15 lbs. or more. Keep in mind that Darren who is holding it weighs in at over 270 lbs. so it's even bigger than it looks. ;) :D

PXL_20210719_140510330.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Was not a sizzler @Wave Runner 😉
I call fish sizzler as soon as it's hits the deck
People / newbies ask me why I call the fish that
My awnser: the sound it's make in the frying pan 😋
Well that cat wasn't it or the sheepheads neither 🤢🤮

Are those cats out in deeper water edible or too big?
Good eats if you like cat fish.
I tried before im not into it, but some people are
Sonlancy’s parents love it and anytime we catch one we are not to toss it back
I haven’t caught one on Erie since the days of early season perch fishing in port Bruce

Your buddy ever go fishing with you again?
Did they have to amputate his reeling arm?
Actually he had some issue with nerves in his elbow And yes, we still go fishing together all the time. When we see the lead core go off we see who makes the move first now. Lol.

Actually he had some issue with nerves in his elbow And yes, we still go fishing together all the time. When we see the lead core go off we see who makes the move first now. Lol.
You both twitch and look and smile after you sir
No no
I insist after you your fish I got the last one 😉

The weekend for the cats is coming up , September long weekend. With the inline camera so far this season I've seen 2 . The previous 2 seasons on the long weekend the camera has been loaded with cats from 20' to the bottom out in +/- 60 FOW unlike any other time . Why ? I have no clue but a shit tonne of them show up out there and a lot of them are huge .

Are those cats out in deeper water edible or too big?

Too big for most people to eat and enjoy and slower growing fish are full of pollutants due to accumulation over the years.

For example, the consumption advisory says 8 meals of Erie channel cat per month, but only 2 per month for fish larger than this or zero for children and pregnant women.

I’ve hooked into a couple at bluff bar trolling for pike and it’s a shocker seeing a big old catfish materialize.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks