I love fishing in Erie but my heart is always where I grew up!

rcfire77

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
A buddy from work retired last summer and bought a small house up on Haviland Beach Rd just north of the Soo on Lake Superior. I went up last year with 3 other guys and put an addition on it for him that turned an rental cottage into a full time liveable home. Since some other projects are waiting for windows and door to arrive Thursday I decided to jump on my neglected Harley Sunday and head up for a few days while the winds on Erie settled down. After a customary first night piss up we left today at 4 and took the bikes up 17 to Wawa. (Perhaps the most scenic drive in Ontario). Maybe it was the lack of traffic as everyone returned home today from the long weekend or cause it was my first big trip on the bike since beating cancer almost 3 years ago (they only gave me 3-6 months but I showed them) but it was the best ride of my life. I took a few pictures from my cell phone while driving to show my wife. (@18Again , I can already hear you giving me shit) In 5 hours we only encountered a few vehicles, couple of transports and a few trailer’s. It was an absolutely phenomenal ride and experience. Trust me it’s way better on the Harley than viewing it out a car window. Tomorrow we are doing the Thessalon/Chapleau/Wawa and home route. Then Wednesday it’s back home and hopefully Thursday/Friday Erie has laid down so I can finally take @Chiro Alex out for some walleye fishing cause next week is a write off with work stuff. I stopped in Massey on the way up at the fish wagon and paid 14.75 for a walleye sandwich which was kinda messed up considering I had 6 cleaned and frozen walleye from Saturday in my small yeti cooler for my buddy up here. The sign said fresh walleye so when I asked how fresh she said in the last couple of weeks yet I had some from the previous day in my cooler. On an unrelated note did the OPP take the long weekend off as well? In just under 1400k in two days I saw one cruiser but tons outside of every station I passed. Not saying I broke some land speed records but from Brussels to Haviland beach rd in under 8 hours with stopping 3 times for gas and 20 minutes for lunch I think we can all fill in the blanks. No point in owning a motorcycle if you aren’t gonna drive it like one!

Attachments

• IMG_2730.jpeg
    IMG_2730.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2727.jpeg
    IMG_2727.jpeg
    230 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2720.jpeg
    IMG_2720.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2717.jpeg
    IMG_2717.jpeg
    272.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2711.jpeg
    IMG_2711.jpeg
    453.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7673.jpeg
    IMG_7673.jpeg
    331.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2701.jpeg
    IMG_2701.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 84
My Harley feels neglected cause I bought my boat after I beat cancer. The oncologist told me I shouldn’t buy a boat when she broke the news to me. I started the results conversation with ‘it better be good news cause I have been looking at fishing boats?’ To which she responded that I shouldn’t buy a boat cause I wouldn’t be around to use it. So once I beat it 9 months later my wife said GO BUY YOUR BOAT and the rest is history!

Great story and pictures @rcfire77 . I have done that drive up from the Soo to Wawa and beyond. Your post brings back good memories!

@rcfire77 congrats on your personal victory.

I ran those roads/routes for years hauling liquid.

Before my first trip a senior driver told me to look around going down the hill to Montreal River, it's amazing. That first trip and many many others, I could barely see my rad cap let alone the surrounding scenery due to fog, but eventually I got to see what so many spoke about. 🌻

Dude, 700 kms a day on a HD is commendable!

I just got back from a Maritimes trip on last weekend, 3104 kms but in 5 days.

Awesome news on kicking cancer's a$$. What's the secret? Single Malt?

Glad you beat the big C @rcfire77. It runs in my family. Grandad died from stomach cancer, Dad died from bone cancer, brother Bob died from lung cancer as did my brother Jack. Brother Bill died from Kidney cancer, My sister Marg beat ovarian cancer as well as breast Cancer. My sister Pat has Lung cancer but is now in remission. I have had Basil Cell carcinoma cancer as well as melanoma cancer and beat both so far. Cancer is one disease we could do without.

A buddy from work retired last summer and bought a small house up on Haviland Beach Rd just north of the Soo on Lake Superior. I went up last year with 3 other guys and put an addition on it for him that turned an rental cottage into a full time liveable home. Since some other projects are waiting for windows and door to arrive Thursday I decided to jump on my neglected Harley Sunday and head up for a few days while the winds on Erie settled down. After a customary first night piss up we left today at 4 and took the bikes up 17 to Wawa. (Perhaps the most scenic drive in Ontario). Maybe it was the lack of traffic as everyone returned home today from the long weekend or cause it was my first big trip on the bike since beating cancer almost 3 years ago (they only gave me 3-6 months but I showed them) but it was the best ride of my life. I took a few pictures from my cell phone while driving to show my wife. (@18Again , I can already hear you giving me shit) In 5 hours we only encountered a few vehicles, couple of transports and a few trailer’s. It was an absolutely phenomenal ride and experience. Trust me it’s way better on the Harley than viewing it out a car window. Tomorrow we are doing the Thessalon/Chapleau/Wawa and home route. Then Wednesday it’s back home and hopefully Thursday/Friday Erie has laid down so I can finally take @Chiro Alex out for some walleye fishing cause next week is a write off with work stuff. I stopped in Massey on the way up at the fish wagon and paid 14.75 for a walleye sandwich which was kinda messed up considering I had 6 cleaned and frozen walleye from Saturday in my small yeti cooler for my buddy up here. The sign said fresh walleye so when I asked how fresh she said in the last couple of weeks yet I had some from the previous day in my cooler. On an unrelated note did the OPP take the long weekend off as well? In just under 1400k in two days I saw one cruiser but tons outside of every station I passed. Not saying I broke some land speed records but from Brussels to Haviland beach rd in under 8 hours with stopping 3 times for gas and 20 minutes for lunch I think we can all fill in the blanks. No point in owning a motorcycle if you aren’t gonna drive it like one!
Glad you beat cancer. That is beautifull country just gorgues when the leaves are changing in the fall

700 km day that’s awesome ever thought about trying the iron butt rally , I believe there’s still one in Ontario

Nothing changing up here yet but it still didn’t detract one bit from todays ride. Although we were behind and stopped for supper so the last hour was in the dark and with moose warning signs every 5k our pucker factor went way up!

Attachments

• IMG_2746.jpeg
    IMG_2746.jpeg
    380.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2744.jpeg
    IMG_2744.jpeg
    416.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2740.jpeg
    IMG_2740.jpeg
    329.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2737.jpeg
    IMG_2737.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2739.jpeg
    IMG_2739.jpeg
    298.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2736.jpeg
    IMG_2736.jpeg
    276 KB · Views: 25
In the general store in Wawa I saw this and thought of red…but it’s the leaf blue so it stayed there. See what happens when you start lobbing grenades at the leafs there Red? You end up empty handed!!

Attachments

• IMG_2742.jpeg
    IMG_2742.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 8
Heading to the island in the morning then catching the ferry home Thursday afternoon as long as my buddies don’t feed me too much liquor up at Gore Bay

Attachments

• IMG_2748.jpeg
    IMG_2748.jpeg
    386.2 KB · Views: 6
Dude, 700 kms a day on a HD is commendable!

I just got back from a Maritimes trip on last weekend, 3104 kms but in 5 days.

Awesome news on kicking cancer's a$$. What's the secret? Single Malt?
It was throat cancer so unless it was coming threw a pic line it wasn’t getting it in. I think the secret was I was finally about to buy a big assed fishing boat so I couldn’t let it get messed up!

All that driving thru moose country and it was only other drivers that endangered our lives. Someone obviously texting crossed 3-4ft into our lane on 17 and came inches from hitting my buddy in the lead head on. So I led for the next 6/7 hours. After supper he lead home outta the Soo north on 17 and an obviously DAF pick up driver blew the stop sign at ranger lake rd and drove right between my buddy and I going at least a 100 and missed us both by a C hair! Bikers should be allowed to carry a pistol while driving, just saying.

Back