Off Topic Best Dipsey diver rods

rastam4n

Site Sponsor
R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I never really focused on dipsey divers on Huron because lead on planer boards produces very well. But now that I’m running up to a 14 rod spread I’m planning on running 4 dipseys rods on the days I have 6 guests. Which rods in your opinion are the best dipsey rods available and why do you like them? Cost is a consideration but for the right equipment that’ll last I don’t mind spending a bit extra if it makes a functional difference.

Attachments

• IMG_2174.jpeg
    IMG_2174.jpeg
    559.8 KB · Views: 67
I prefer the okuma white diamond dipsey rods. A little pricier but they have been really good for me. I started out with the basic okuma dipsey rods but then upgraded last year and have been happy I did.

I prefer the okuma white diamond dipsey rods. A little pricier but they have been really good for me. I started out with the basic okuma dipsey rods but then upgraded last year and have been happy I did.
I have the regular dipsy rods and like your white diamond ones better

I’m curious why the white diamonds are better? Like what is the difference and what are the preferred characteristics?

I don’t have the answer but wanted to say that your kingfisher and a spread of 14 rods… holy man! Something to build up to some day! Those boats are beautiful.

And interested in this thread too on the why part

I run the blue diamonds at different lengths and have found them really suitable for walleye trolling, occasionally taking on a big bow or 2. But they don’t make them anymore, I’d vote for the white diamond. But my entire spread is okuma so take that with a grain of salt 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Carbon and glass blank construction for maximum durability.
  • UFR: Increases rods lifting power and maximum strength.
  • Low profile stainless steel guide frames and inserts
  • White upper blank section designed for increased visibility and bite indicator
  • Cushioned stainless steel hooded reel seat.
  • Triangular shaped EVA foregrip prevents twisting while fishing a fish.
  • Durable non-skid, rubber gimbals on all models
  • All White Diamond rods are 2-pcs blank construction
  • White Diamond rods are backed by a 1-year warranty
The EVA foregrip is really durable and I have had them in and out of my Cannon swivel based rod holders a bunch of times without any vissable wear on them at all.
Looks like Natural Sports in Ontario is having a sale on them right now. $109.99

I always run 4 dipsies. On the outside I use a Rapala Magnum and a Walker Deeper Diver Magnum Twist Guide Classic. On the inside, I go with a Diawa Wilderness and a Rapala Delta. This was decided after some careful research undertaken over a series of yard sales.

My favourite has consistently been the one with the fish on.

-moose

I still use Walker Chinook Classic Tournament Twist rods...that are getting long in the tooth.

I see Walker no longer makes these, does anyone else make a trolling rod with the "twist" Kinda got used to it.

I’m curious why the white diamonds are better? Like what is the difference and what are the preferred characteristics?
Mostly the feel when reeling in the fish.. so I guess the action of the rod feels better maybe little more back bone then the standard dipsy rods by okuma.
Personally I like the okuma convector reels do the trick for me
And the grip on the rod is nice in the hands 🤷🏻

I like the Shimano TDR, 8'6" Med. Hvy. $50 each and tough as nails.
Yep use them as my braid dipsy rods. Work good, and cheap. I think there is a 9 footer available as well. I use old heartlands 10 foot dipsy rods with twily tips for my wire divers but no help there as long out of production.

I have Daiwa wildirnes, Rapala magnum ( retired) and Shimano Talora.
Talora is a bit shorter to my liking but the most sensitive, has enough backbone and a pleasure to use, and I use it most. Wildirness was $40 back when and it is about the same now I think , just dont like it, use it very occasionally. Rapala magnum was great in terms of action and length but it was losing inserts from the guides at it costed me some expensive lost tackle on weakened 40 lb braid. Planning to change the guides on it eventually. I have one wire setup with Rhino Indestructible rod with a twilly tip. Got that rod off kijiji for $20 as is , with the twilly tip . It is a little short too to my liking but very sensitive and I landed some monsters on it.

Last edited:
8.6 Diawa accudepth medium heavy rigger rods are favored on my boat..they see none stop action every season and for around 50-60$ a rod they hold vary up well and fish well.. Curl over nicely without giving up all the backbone yet still sensitive enough on the front end to show small shaker fish.
The trip arm is set pretty light on my dipsy but they don't pop on there own in rough water..the rods surge and flex enough to keep every thing in play.
Perhaps I just haven't tried the right brand yet but I found the dipsy specific rods to be to unforgiving..like there made for hauling only salmon size fish..which they likely are.
i fish ERIE which has salmon too but I'm targeting walleye & rainbows primarily when it comes to trolling and that's why I run the actions I do.

You probably already know this but What ever rods you get I would suggest that you get them all the same, that way you can tell very easily if one them is acting up or dragging fish.

Blue Diamonds for the riggers, White diamonds for the dipsies and inline boards. Just a little more backbone that seems to make a difference.

8.6 Diawa accudepth medium heavy rigger rods are favored on my boat..they see none stop action every season and for around 50-60$ a rod they hold vary up well and fish well.. Curl over nicely without giving up all the backbone yet still sensitive enough on the front end to show small shaker fish.
The trip arm is set pretty light on my dipsy but they don't pop on there own in rough water..the rods surge and flex enough to keep every thing in play.
Perhaps I just haven't tried the right brand yet but I found the dipsy specific rods to be to unforgiving..like there made for hauling only salmon size fish..which they likely are.
i fish ERIE which has salmon too but I'm targeting walleye & rainbows primarily when it comes to trolling and that's why I run the actions I do.

You probably already know this but What ever rods you get I would suggest that you get them all the same, that way you can tell very easily if one them is acting up or dragging fish.

Agree 100%. All matched and all pretty well look the same as far as tip action. Some of those smaller fish that don't trip rigger or dipsey can still be "seen" on the tip with a close eye and comparing tips with other lines. So many times I've said to wife who is driving boat...rod 3 is looking a little funny...and many times there is a small on it.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks