Off Topic would you put braid on a 4 yr old first fishing rod?

Outdorman

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
It's our great nephew's first fishing rod and he's going to be 4. I was going to put braid on it rather than what ever comes with kids rods these days, but I'm wondering if that will be more trouble than it's worth?

No braid can cut you too easy for a kid. I'd either leave what's on in or get 8 lb mono. Something they can see and something you can break off when they snag. Twister tail with a bit of worm is a good bait
Only 1thing on the line and easy to see plus neat colours and action.

so a green or yellow mono and not clear? Like the idea that they will be able to see the line. They're just going to be fishing from a dock. I've already got them some proper bobbers and snelled hooks for worms. Don't think they will be casting for a while.

I’d change the line on the reel forsure. Whatever it comes with is usually garbage.

I would first try the line that is on the reel first.

try tying a knot with a sinker

and go from there, with releasing the line, and try a cast... then figure out what your using for bait,

a new 4 year old with fishing hooks might not be the best match for everyones safety,

slow and easy and attention to detail what takes to fish, if he or she loses interest fast, accidents can happen..

good luck with trying it out

to start it's going to be a worm and a bobber, get him to reel in a couple and then go from there, thanks for all everyones help.

I’d say barbless hooks for kids in case they get stuck, but you will lose more worms and fish that way. So you decide haha! I try to go barbless on things they cast and things with bait or for trolling I Leave the barbs.

My two sense. Use ice fishing lures (bluegill bait) and a small worm and bobber. It’s not about how big the fish is, it’s about how many they catch! Constant action on small perch and gills is the ticket. A big fish on that rig (and it will happen) is a great memory. A good pair of hemostats along with barbless hooks makes life easy. Fishing in the shade is a plus if you can do it. Don’t forget the pop and licorice.

Absolutely use braid . The ones saying braid cuts to east are using the wrong braid.

1. Because of the no stretch and the sensitivity the child will learn quickly the difference between a bite and a weed etc. This is huge .

2. Strong . The child will not lose expense jih heads or lures .

3. Color selection. Pretty sweet and camo

4. More durable

Yes braid can have some issues but most if not all of these can be fixed by spooling correctly and using line conditioner.

Obviously don't put braid on a cheap 9 dollar mickey mouse rod/reel.

I do know for snags I have to use my fish cleaning gloves, but can pull up a lot of fire wood with it.......lol, and try to pull with the rod, pull straight by hand. Seen a few carbon rods explode trying to get braid and lure back, one hell of a sound.

A kid doesn't care what kind of line is on the reel as long as there's a fish on it. 🎣 😅
Have fun with the young lad. (y)

Braid cuts because it's thin and strong with no stretch. Go ahead and try to pull a snag with your bare hands. Try it with any brand you choose.
Don't buy the cheap braid!!! Use line conditioner. Can't stress this enough. Good braid won't cut any easier than mono Fluro etc. I routinely use it for pike fishing with no issues. I noticed a big difference in the top quality braid the cheaper crappy tire stuff. The only real drawback is is price.

I've never heard of line conditioner, so I read up on it. Not that big a difference on braid. I use Power-Pro on all my reels.....all 15 of them

Mono is much better for the young kids as the stretch is more forgiving when kids are setting the hook or cranking in the fish. Plus it’s easier to untangle and doesn’t cut fingers like braid.

Leave the braid for when the kids are a bit older and have a feel for hooksets and playing the fish.

Surprised with the responses on this. I wouldn't have thought this was a concern at all.

Kid cutting fingers on braid? I guess that's a lesson learned early.
My first fishing line when I was a youngster way back 50 years ago was a old level-wind reel with that colored braid line on it. Did I cut my fingers pulling out a snag? Maybe, probably, but can't remember so obviously didn't scar me for life and I didn't become a Leaf fan due to brain damage.

I say get out of the helicopter and put braid on it. The kid will learn either way. No biggie.

Lol you sound like me on my nephews 4th birthday… uncle Chip he wants a gun….. ok I’ll take care of that.. they probably figured a Red Rider was coming… nope let’s get him a mini .22! Lmao

I've never heard of line conditioner, so I read up on it. Not that big a difference on braid. I use Power-Pro on all my reels.....all 15 of them
Line conditioner does wonder on braid . You would notice a huge difference. Not only will last much longer , it will give you better feel, less friction , and longer casts with far less tangles. Power pro is OK but again going to higher end braid makes a noticeable difference. Suffix 832 is better but try seaguar ....even better .

Surprised with the responses on this. I wouldn't have thought this was a concern at all.

Kid cutting fingers on braid? I guess that's a lesson learned early.
My first fishing line when I was a youngster way back 50 years ago was a old level-wind reel with that colored braid line on it. Did I cut my fingers pulling out a snag? Maybe, probably, but can't remember so obviously didn't scar me for life and I didn't become a Leaf fan due to brain damage.

I say get out of the helicopter and put braid on it. The kid will learn either way. No biggie.

Lmfao….I am the last parent to hover over my kids and keep them in a bubble. But, I do apply common sense and choosing tiny diameter line with zero stretch that’s easily tangled is a recipe for disaster with children.

I’m curious how you used modern super braids 50 years ago when they were invented in the 90’s? I assume you’re referring to much larger diameter dacron type fishing line, which is intended for hand lining. Modern super braids are most definitely not intended for hand lining.

I’m also curious how many children you’ve mentored using super braids. Your post suggests it’s a big fat zero.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks