Lake Erie 'eyes from a bass boat

Puggz

Sold my great trolling rig in 2020 and ended up ordering a new Bass Boat (w/Active Target) this spring. Gonna miss the ability to troll but it was a "Bucket List" decision.

Looking for ideas on getting that notorious limit of 'eyes this year on Erie and looking for some pointers. A couple things I'm considering are:

When the fish are shallow (early summer):
I've typically trolled tail dancers and harnesses with an egg sinker with great success. New technique could be the same worm harness (hand held) using the bow mount, either as an in-line weight or Bottom Bouncer. Wouldn't mind giving @fishingandfarming some business.

When the fish are deeper (late summer):
This was lead core/dipsey time with small boards for me. thinking that using the active target to ID fish, jig with the largest jigging rap you can get. Acme makes a 2.5" Hyper-Rattle that weighs 30 grams that should get down to 45 FOW.

Thoughts/Ideas??

TIA<
P.

For late summer, we use dipsys divers as walleye can get down to the 70 to 90 foot range. We have had luck with both various body baits and worm harnesses! This is what we have had luck with, but I'm sure others can help with advice as well 🎣🎣

you might not get the trolling speeds you want with just your bow mount trolling motor. You could try a trolling plate on your lower unit or throw out a drift sock if your main drive goes too fast. As you know you're looking for about 3 MPH.

Never needed to go below 60 for walleye ever, but maybe that’s just me. Small lead combinations on boards have been doing well, think 3/4 colour and ask 6 grand lol. Just a suggestion and good luck this year

I might be stupid, but what you're saying is you're looking for options for fishing walleye without rod holders?

Couple of options:
- just mount rod holders
- I've seen rod holders screwed to a cooler pulling lead lines
- rod holders are great
- have you considered rod holders

Last edited:
No need for 30 g. Even 4 g will get down 30 ft when jigging. I ve had success with the same jig/worm/ jig/finesse minnow as in Detroit river. Also had luck with 7 and 10 g jigging raps. putting a tiny piece of worm also helps.

I might be stupid, but what you're saying is you're looking for options for fishing walleye without rod holders?

Couple of options:
- just mount rod holders
- I've seen rod holders screwed to a cooler pulling lead lines
- rod holders are great
- have you considered rod holders

As I stated in my original post, I sold my "trolling" setup in 2020, including the rod holders. Bass boats aren't really setup for tracks, mounts, etc. And, i don't want to start drilling holes in a brand new boat.

Thanks anyways

P

Never needed to go below 60 for walleye ever, but maybe that’s just me. Small lead combinations on boards have been doing well, think 3/4 colour and ask 6 grand lol. Just a suggestion and good luck this year
Agreed, I never went below 60 fow, even in August. Eye's feed up so its always better to be a bit shallow than too deep. FWIW, i'm beginning to see this is the wrong forum for this question, you'd need bass boat experience to really understand no rod holder, leadcore, or dipseys. It has has to be more traditional means such as longlining a harness w/inline weight and jigging I think. Just curious if anyone does something I haven't thought of :unsure:

As I stated in my original post, I sold my "trolling" setup in 2020, including the rod holders. Bass boats aren't really setup for tracks, mounts, etc. And, i don't want to start drilling holes in a brand new boat.

Thanks anyways

P
Mounting them on a cooler results in zero boat holes! If your boat has removable seats there are also options to mount to a seat post. I really do know nothing about bass boats though.

Eerie dearies used to be popular in the west basin. I've caught a few eyes on em.

Cast erie dearies in open deep water areas. Find some structure and cast crankbaits, jigs or drop shots.. I know someone that does this and he does very well.. the hard part is finding the structure.. it is there if you look for it thou…

Blade baits and “weapons” also would work well

So you bought a Bass boat, why are you targeting Walleye? I'd have thought you would be after bass. Just asking.

Seat post idea is a good idea if you have 4 bases. That would work well as a backbone for your Erie slock spread.
My dad used to remove the boat cleats on his fibreglass cutter when I was a kid and had a setup we installed to go fishing. Couple custom brackets that bolted in.

Thanks anyways

P
Back in the 80's, used to drift with the wind with an Erie Derie and worm from Burwell in my 12' StarCraft tinner. Water was murky so only in 30-40 fow, 3-4 miles out. The water clarity has made them more spooky and in deeper water. If you could find a concentration of fish it it should still work, as should vertical jigging.

Great Idea - Seat Post setup! I have a regular seat and post on the rear deck. I'm certain I could McGiver something with a couple of Scotty's. I didn't sell my dipsy and lead core rigs when I sold the boat in '20.. :). I even have a pair of magnum offshore boards. Just wondering how slow my new 250 Merc will go (and I'm not installing a trolling plate)

I like the erie dearie idea as well, I'm sure I have a few hiding somewhere.

Vertical Jigging is a no brainer (regular and jiggin raps) if I can find schooling fish and early summer I can use a bottom bouncer/worm harness down to about 40 FOW.

I'm targeting 'eyes because I love to eat them. I do fish a ton for bass, pike, and Muskie but none of that gets to my table.

Look what I found..
124031648_1129754550816928_5170816046499686087_n.jpg

Puggz I made this up for my bass boat and put it in the front seat hole so I could watch the rods while steering

Attachments

• AC9E9ADD-DE57-4043-9B71-7D12B159A2FD.jpeg
    AC9E9ADD-DE57-4043-9B71-7D12B159A2FD.jpeg
    294.4 KB · Views: 22
Puggz I made this up for my bass boat and put it in the front seat hole so I could watch the rods while steering
Nice! Pretty straight forward! How thick and long is the aluminum bar across the top? I'm assuming that below is just a std. seat post.
TIA<

Patrick

The aluminum bar is 36” x 4” x 1/2“ thick and the seat pole is 17” including the threaded end and I added a piece of stainless steel rod 9” x 3/4” and drilled and tapped the end of the rod so I could put a bolt through the aluminum plate into the rod. The seat pole I used is for my back seat but you could use the pole from the front seat which would probably be just as good. If you need any more information let me know

The aluminum bar is 36” x 4” x 1/2“ thick and the seat pole is 17” including the threaded end and I added a piece of stainless steel rod 9” x 3/4” and drilled and tapped the end of the rod so I could put a bolt through the aluminum plate into the rod. The seat pole I used is for my back seat but you could use the pole from the front seat which would probably be just as good. If you need any more information let me know
Great, thank you. I found a bike seat post on amazon for $28 and I have a good friend that owns a fab and welding shop :). Do you have any issue with the whole thing turning if its loaded up with 1 rod? I don't think my butt seat post holes are threaded. Also, i suspect the 3/4" SS rod fits down the ID of the seat post - is it a friction fit?

Thanks so much!

P.

Back