Which kicker do i need

Kbreks

In the market for a new kicker. My question is do i need a long shaft? I currently have a 1967 evinrude 9.5 SS on and it seems either water is over the hood or the motor comes out of the water. My only concern with a long shaft is not being able to get it completely out of the water when using the main engine. Pic of boat, sorry do not have pic of the back of it at the moment as its in storage.Snapchat-1679929948.jpg

That kicker bracket is adjustable up and down I assume? I might be inclined to stick with short shaft if that’s the case.

Doesn’t hurt to go with a long shaft if you can find one within your price range. It does look like your bracket is adjustable and everything, just easier on the back lifting it back up when going in and out.

Maybe visit a local dealer with the make and year of your boat . They can look up the specs and advise you best.
Better to get their advice.

Thanks for the replies. You guys are correct. It has an adjustable bracket. But like mentioned, low enough to keep the prop in the water, i have water coming over the top of the motor. Too high and the prop is out of the water in waves.

I have a 21’ boat with a long shaft 9.9 4 stroke. My boat definitely needs a long shaft to keep the lower end in the water when it gets a little rough. I have no problems getting it out of the water. I also have the heavy duty Panther trolling motor bracket.

Attachments

• 3DC96E8F-5252-42E5-AD59-1449674397C9.jpeg
    3DC96E8F-5252-42E5-AD59-1449674397C9.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 9B022238-4B5C-4E79-8610-5F651C8EACC8.jpeg
    9B022238-4B5C-4E79-8610-5F651C8EACC8.jpeg
    282.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 8FBEA0E8-E378-4345-A8C4-E0C0BE9A4AEB.jpeg
    8FBEA0E8-E378-4345-A8C4-E0C0BE9A4AEB.jpeg
    357.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 745A6DF2-8E84-4F7A-97C4-5EC185B921E7.jpeg
    745A6DF2-8E84-4F7A-97C4-5EC185B921E7.jpeg
    309.7 KB · Views: 60
As far as a long shaft being to long at wide open I’d would it would have be extremely low for it not clear you have to remember at wide open the water line is basically flush with bottom of the boat when you first hit the throttle it may be in the wake but as soon the boat gets on plane it’ll be way above I’m sure I know mine definitely is

Thanks for the replies. Guess i will be longshaft shopping. Probably purchase a heavier bracket as well. My current one is rated at 115lbs which may be a little on the light side for a 4 stroke

I have a 21’ boat with a long shaft 9.9 4 stroke. My boat definitely needs a long shaft to keep the lower end in the water when it gets a little rough. I have no problems getting it out of the water. I also have the heavy duty Panther trolling motor bracket.
Do you keep the kicker tilted up when on plane? Or is that just for when it's sitting to keep it out of the water?

Prokicker remote with 25" shaft. They tilt almost horizontal as long as your bracket allows for it. Just make sure the bracket you use is far enough away from the stern that it has room to tilt all the way up.

Thanks for the replies. Guess i will be longshaft shopping. Probably purchase a heavier bracket as well. My current one is rated at 115lbs which may be a little on the light side for a 4 stroke

You could take a look at the Tohatsu. I believe the 9.8 weighs around 80-85lbs range. Good motors too, they make all the low horsepower motors for mercury, and run their own brand as well!

Do you keep the kicker tilted up when on plane? Or is that just for when it's sitting to keep it out of the water?
When I'm done trolling I remove the steering link from both motors and pull the Panther bracket to the top position. My Mercury 9.9 has a half tilt up position and I leave it there. Motor is all the way out of the water and no problems taking off with the main motor.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks