Off Topic 40amp fuse as on off switch?

Centerspin

I am adding a piece of equipment I want to be able to turn on and off since I wont be using it most of the time. It will be connected to a fuse box with a 5 amp fuse it came with. I dont want to drill a hole in the instrument panel so I plan to mount a switch to a board that holds the fuse box. I have it installed inside the console . I have a 40 amp trigger fuse laying around. Is there anything wrong with using it as the on off switch? The proper fuse will be next in chain and the wires I will use look like 12 or 14 gauge.

I don't know anything about trigger fuses, but I've got an XT60 connector hidden behind my dash to connect rarely-used equipment. I just reach up and grab it and hook up the chart plotter I'm too lazy to mount. XT60s are rated for 60A continuous, apparently.

Thx guys I got the drift. I've found a dash mountable on off switch. I'll lust make an L bracket and mount the switch sideways where I wanted it. Amazon sell exactly what I need but for only $35 lol - a piece of metal corner of a few inches with 4 holes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230403-091004__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20230403-091004__01.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 4
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks