Minnkota Terrova

SonsOfPerchin

Hi everyone. Looking at putting a second motor on boat and was thinking of this since has some nice features but was wanting it to troll on erie so that being said does anyone use this model? I have a 16 ft aluminum and would want it to be able to troll the 3 mph mark for a long period of time. If anyone has any recommendations please feel free to let me know. Looking at all the different models lengths sizes and features of different models is making me feel like I should be sitting on a short yellow bus licking the window

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230311_142642_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230311_142642_Samsung Internet.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 12
For long periods of time , I would suggest go with a 36 volt ones regardless of brand
I got a 24 volt minnkota ultera it will go for 8 hours on 40-50 % power but just as a steering guide while I troll with my kicker
It will last 2 days of fishing when used for spot lock or slowly moving around and that with only a low winds for that day
I get a full day 10-12 hours of fishing if I'm in rivers like Niagara or Detroit and constantly running it on various power
I dont think it would last 2-4 hours pending on wind running at 3 mph that's my unit anyway

I agree with ticker i have the 24 v and did not get that much time out of it i ran about 2.5 mph and that was when calm i think when pulling dipsies an leadcore its to much drag for it i tried it for a year ended up putting a kicker on as well so use m/k. For spotlock and steerimg with kicker

You may want to consider the weight of 3 batteries plus a Minn Kota on a 16 foot boat. Maybe an option would be a 24 volt system with lithium batteries. Not a cheap option but it might be the one that’s the best fit

One thing I forgot to mention is boat size and weight, I'm in a17.5 foot with 115 hp main and 9.9 kicker plus the gear 4 batteries ect so if you are in a lighter boat and shallower draft you will get longer running time

you could probably buy a 2-3 horse power 4 stroke for less money and roughly the same weight or throw out a drift sock or bucket. Always nice to have that 2nd gas engine in case of trouble.

One thing I forgot to mention is boat size and weight, I'm in a17.5 foot with 115 hp main and 9.9 kicker plus the gear 4 batteries ect so if you are in a lighter boat and shallower draft you will get longer running time

Mine is alotlighter

I have a 80lb thrust 24 v terrova on 20 ft lund. Haven't trolled with it and like others not sure it would do that at 3mph. Mine works great on spot lock .. Haven't touched anchor in yrs. Also great to work a weedline or help control boat when drifting for bass. Works well on nia r too.

I have had several issues with my MK. It's been back for service and warranty work and it's still not right. Spot lock will keep you within 100 feet maybe if you are lucky. It will then just shut off , drift away and then kick in again at max speed.The unit will just lose power intermittent for no reason and the remote loses signal while the prop is still turning. Very unsafe when fishing close to shore rocks , docks etc. Have to rush and physically unplug it from the power source . Sometimes it can go a whole day with no issues and the next day it's almost unusable.
Dealer said its just the way it is with these . My next trolling mototr will be a motor guide 💯.
Good luck

I have had several issues with my MK. It's been back for service and warranty work and it's still not right. Spot lock will keep you within 100 feet maybe if you are lucky. It will then just shut off , drift away and then kick in again at max speed.The unit will just lose power intermittent for no reason and the remote loses signal while the prop is still turning. Very unsafe when fishing close to shore rocks , docks etc. Have to rush and physically unplug it from the power source . Sometimes it can go a whole day with no issues and the next day it's almost unusable.

Dealer said its just the way it is with these . My next trolling mototr will be a motor guide 💯.

Good luck

More I look into it might go 4hp gas motor

THanks.

Good luck

Thanks. Starting to think a 4hp gas motor might be better route

Good luck
I have the motorguide xi5 36 volt and it has about the same issues as jerk bait: has with his. Mine has had issues from day one which were record by Hastings starter in Hagersville he put in a new circuit board and it was good for a while then started to act up again. So I called Motorguide directly and told them my problem and the guy said yes I see on your records you've had problems with it and he said sorry your warranty is up on it. I said even though the problem had started from day one your aren't going to do anything for me and he said sorry the warranty is over. So I said some nice things to him about there service and the Motorguide JUNK. So you know what I think about Motorguide Shit.

Good luck
Sorry to hear you had issues so far mine has worked quite well had the remote crap out and not turn on but mk replaced it with no problem

I have mine ulterra for 5 years now , last spring it would not deploy all the way on first trip , first week in April I think it was due to cold temperatures, ran great rest of the year
The belt adjustment screw was maxed out last fall so I took it in for maintenance , the repair guy said found nothing wrong with it at all ,adjusted the belt looked it over , lubricant, tested all good to go for the season, he did say mine is a older model and it's prone to have water get in the motor housing that's works the trim / up and down function but the drive motor are very rare to have problems vs the new models having problems with drive motor seal leak , an advice on that if you get your fishing line get caught in it specially braid remove it rigth away and not use the motor, I done that a few times 🙄 but I carry tools on board and have spare parts , the way I do it is hook a 5 gallon pail on the trolling motor with the bucket under it incase dropping something it will fall into the bucket 🪣 😉, I done this on Erie with 2' waves and cold temperatures due to being too excited catching perch and not paying attention 😔😡
The biggest issues the repair shop see is the wiring harness is too small of gauge to the plug " if not direct wired " and the use the small plug connector, I put minnkota plug on mine and replaced wires that came with the boat originally
All these brands are same as car brands you may get a lemon 🍋 and people have their favorite
Hard to say good about a brand if it's a lemon and not performing as it should

I have mine ulterra for 5 years now , last spring it would not deploy all the way on first trip

I think it's year 6 for me, and I kind of regret getting the Ulterra. I've had it stuck down on more than one occasion and refuse to deploy now and again.

While it's nice when fishing solo, especially in Sarnia with the current, the constant concern about will it deploy, will it retract makes me wish I'd just gone with a manual deploy model.

4, 5 and 6hp 4st are the same motor / block / weight so for a couple hundred more I'd go with the 6hp if your looking at the 4. You'll never hear anyone complain that they wish they had less HP.

@SonsOfPerchin... I have a MotorGuide Xi3 24 volt 70 lb. thrust that will push my 16.7 ft. Sylvan 3 mph at full power on flat water. I doubt if it would run for more than a couple of hours at full tilt though and I use 2 large group 31 Interstate batteries. Spot lock works perfectly holding me on spot even in wavy conditions and have not used my anchor in years. I use it mostly for steering when trolling. When the water is fairly flat it will last about 8 hours at 1/3 power when used solely for steering along with the main motor doing the trolling But that time gets cut in half in 2 foot waves when I need 2/3 to 3/4 power to maintain steering control. I don't think that even a 36 volt motor will run anywhere near as long as you were hoping for at 3 mph pushing the boat by itself. Lithium batteries will power for longer periods than flooded lead-acid but is it enough to justify their exorbitant price tag and special charger that's needed?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks