Fishing Report Article, Lake Huron's Gold Rush, trolling for summer Walleye on the Southern Basin of Lake Huron by yours truly

That's my father in law on the cover- he won the tourney last year. Still can't get the smile off his face (y)

Nice article. Lake Huron has never been a pickerel destination that normally comes to mind.

Do you any experience on Atlantic Salmon out there? If so, could you give us some insight?

Nice article. Lake Huron has never been a pickerel destination that normally comes to mind.

Do you any experience on Atlantic Salmon out there? If so, could you give us some insight?

There are definitely Atlantic's out there, but not a lot of them. We landed 3 all of last season. Roughly 500 hours of fishing.
All the ones we caught were out past 100 FOW and in August. I know of a few being caught in the spring, but I have yet to see one on my boat that time of year. They all hit sliders on the deep rigger, somewhere in the 50fow.
The nice thing about Huron, is you can target salmon in the early spring, and slowly target the walleye as spring turns to summer, then all summer, you can come home with a handful of walleye, maybe a Coho or 2, Rainbow, a Laker and even a Chinook. You just never know what you are going to get. Heck, we even catch giant catfish every so often... I mean, like 18lbs!
And for those of you that despise the Farm Animals... I haven't seen one of them in 5 years.

Thanks for the reply! I had given up on Huron many years ago, haven't had my boat in the lake since maybe 2005. Sounds like I need to give it a go.

A neighbour we were camped by was shocked to catch a nice one trolling off of Manitoulin last summer, out of providence bay. It was a salmon he was after.

Not tagged, fairly sure he kept it, and it was a decent fish. I can’t recall length or weight, but the story was all about a nice pickerel in a surprising spot. Not a a dink pickerel, a trophy or a tagged one.

Caught this one in Huron…

Attachments

• EC772414-71B8-4275-8AE0-38D0DCA3B055.jpeg
    EC772414-71B8-4275-8AE0-38D0DCA3B055.jpeg
    440.2 KB · Views: 10
And the Atlantic

Attachments

• 4C567F37-F976-4122-AD6F-36E6B8CBF282.jpeg
    4C567F37-F976-4122-AD6F-36E6B8CBF282.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 16
Are they still picking up the odd big brown?
Yes and they just released around, 10000 in spring of 2021... they were already 6-8" fish so the ones that survived are likely going to be a good size now

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks