The Quest for realistically priced veggies...

jammer

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Brantford farm market on Saturday... $24.50
PXL_20230218_170312421.jpg

I think the Asparagus is most expensive followed by the Cauliflower, peppers, broccoli then the Red onion ? I think Walmart has cauliflower on for less than 2 bucks and Food Basic had Broccoli on for 97 cents a crown and pepper packs were about 3.50 and I will wait for my Asparagus to pop up in the garden instead of buying from Mexico or Peru or wherever.

When I lived in the Big City I would buy my veggies at a corner store run by an Oriental family at Danforth and Main and they beat all the big guys prices even Food Basic and No Frills. Oh sure, their stuff wasn't photogenic but it tasted good.

Asparagus $7/2... Cauliflower $6... Broccoli $5... Peppers $4/3... Onion $1

Walleyemart has cauliflower on for $1.87, the sale ends tomorrow .

Don't buy much food from our local Wally after a number of products spoiled long before the expiry date.

Really liked the Prime Rib sales of long ago, but after finding spoiled products at first opening of sealed containers doesn't work with me
🌻

Asparagus $7/2... Cauliflower $6... Broccoli $5... Peppers $4/3... Onion $1

Not bad for Asparagus but OUCH ! on the Cauliflower and Broccoli and the peppers and onion are on par.

Personally I still think we are getting gouged at the checkout stand. While the weather plays a huge role in veggie pricing I don't understand why a can of beans is 1.50 or a can of tomatoes is 2 bucks ?

The cauliflower was the size of 2... Fresh and delicious...

The gouge is real... It started with the pharmaceutical companies and it seems everyone else is trying it out... :/

We grow a fair amount of veggies ourselves as well...

I have a garden patch approx. 60 x 100 feet with good soil ( loam ? )and beside that it has a 3 foot wide row of Asparagus and a row of really old Blueberry bushes and a row of mixed grapes. Plus 3 Elderberry bushes down by the drainage crick. On the northside of the property there is an old orchard of different types of apples and pears. My big problem is I don't have a green thumb. The Asparagus takes care of itself and I've pruned back the Blueberry bushes and have gotten some new growth but some were too far gone. I hope we have some bees in the area this year as there was none last year and it really hurt the apple and pear trees.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks