Interesting article

Cap'nkirk

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Found this article interesting, might explain why the perch are harder to catch..

Just adding to the perch post, here's a chart from a Michigan biologist. He tells me growth for Erie perch will be a bit quicker but it's still close.

FB_IMG_1672866577441.jpg

Last edited:
I caught some 15+" perch earlier this fall and they were 7 and 8 yrs old. My wife aged them, she ran an ageing lab for yrs. We caught alot of large perch this fall in Eastern l erie and a high % were males. I was a little susurprised I thought they would all be females.

Just adding to the perch post, here's a chart from a Michigan biologist. He tells me growth for Erie perch will be a bit quicker but it's still close.

View attachment 69236
Hey GMech isn’t there a migration pattern out of st Clair into the lake similar than walleye? I have always thought the perch seem to be on the same pattern only 2-4 weeks ahead of the walleye.

Hey GMech isn’t there a migration pattern out of st Clair into the lake similar than walleye? I have always thought the perch seem to be on the same pattern only 2-4 weeks ahead of the walleye.
I don't really think perch migrate long distances but could be wrong....let me check into it.

Heres the big one. Knife is 13inches.

Perch Dont migrate like walleye, they will move miles but not 10s or hundreds of miles. Perch move around and in/out of lpb but not too far.

Attachments

• IMG_20221005_205548_045.jpg
    IMG_20221005_205548_045.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 19
I think they move quite a bit more than we think, at least the larger fish schools. I’ve seen them threw the ice on st Clair schooled up with small groups of walleye. Seen it over a dozen times over the years.

For sure the perch move around within a large area but the general consensus is that they don't migrate hundreds of miles like many of the walleye & musky do each season. The telemetry results from MDNR will be interesting to see if that's true or not.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks