Off Topic Anybody tried rubberizing a landing net?

Centerspin

I have one nice light net with an extendable handle and a big loop but the meshing is cotton and its a PITA especially with body baits. I dont really like those bucket style replacements with rubberized mechings. The cell size is too small and there are bands of fabric where the bottom is joined and near the top, and they sure catch trebles too. I have found a couple of videos with a DUI where people use flex Seal and plasi dip . The results look ok but it is unclear if this works in a long run at all. Anybody tried doing this with success?

Yeah I’ve got an old net that I retouch with truck bedliner every so often. The net was originally a soft rubberized mesh. I don’t know how well it would work if you’re starting from scratch.

Thank you Moemoe, that's what I was afraid off. Definitely not doing it. Will have to find a good replacement mesh. I also have a smaller net with rubberized meshing bucket style. A friend of mine claims whole rubber net, although heavier, is the best for walleye in terms of ease of untangling trebles. Will probably try looking for it was well.

Went down that road yrs ago and never again for this guy. Way too heavy especially if alone and need to reach out. For me it's worth the few extra seconds of untangling.

One thing that works pretty good for us with eyes is trying to flip it over and out of the net as soon as you lift it out of the water and into the boat rather than laying it on the floor and unhooking/tangling.

I have one nice light net with an extendable handle and a big loop but the meshing is cotton and its a PITA especially with body baits. I dont really like those bucket style replacements with rubberized mechings. The cell size is too small and there are bands of fabric where the bottom is joined and near the top, and they sure catch trebles too. I have found a couple of videos with a DUI where people use flex Seal and plasi dip . The results look ok but it is unclear if this works in a long run at all. Anybody tried doing this with success?
I did earlier this year for a big salmon net with below from CT. it's a lot of mess when apply it, but once it done, it hold up good, at least good so far.

Thank you Jsyangyu
What product did you use ? Any peeling so far?
i was using the dip one, no spray one. There is a canadiantire.ca link in my previous reply. No peeling after one session.

Attachments

• 20221113_150338.jpg
    20221113_150338.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 25
Awesome thanks, Will give it a shot, that netting is useless anyways, and I can't find what I want in the stores.

Last edited:
I carry a few nets on board, one larger one for the big guys, but 99% of the fish can be netted with a smaller 100% rubber net. I believe the one I use is this one https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/lucky-strike-tangle-free-rubber-fishing-net-0784061p.html?loc=plp
Yes, it is a bit heavier, but the speed that you can get fish out of the net when they are hitting makes up for a bit of stress on the wrists. I use it solo as well, no issues.
That being said, even with the rubber net, I always try to keep the line taut when netting eyes, keep the fish vertical, and they stay calm and do not get tangled as bad.

Agree, and love the 100 percent rubber nets. A few years back i got talked into a rubber coated net and absolutely hated the tangles and took it back almost immediately. Fishing the Bay of Quinte a couple of years ago, we landed a 55 inch Musky first try on the Lucky Strike rubber net. It was quite hilarious wondering how the hell we were gonna make it happen but she stretched just fine.

Thank you rastam4n, good info there, especially about keeping the pick vertical I also have 2 nets a smaller and one bigger. Lookig to replace the the mesh on the smaller with rubber. Ive seen EVO1 rubber net in Sail , that rubber feels much lighter compared to the lucky strike one. Gonna try source it for next season

This is my new net from ego . Purchase from Steve in Lambeth. Got this on-line shipping to cousin in GA. ( GO DAWGS) . Had a hell of a time threading it but finally got it. Nice rubberized. $51.67 can.

Attachments

• PXL_20221119_161414760.jpg
    PXL_20221119_161414760.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 15
This is my new net from ego . Purchase from Steve in Lambeth. Got this on-line shipping to cousin in GA. ( GO DAWGS) . Had a hell of a time threading it but finally got it. Nice rubberized. $51.67 can.
Never heard of them before so had a look at their website. Looks like they've got a really nice line of nets, might be something to add to the mix for next season

Never heard of them before so had a look at their website. Looks like they've got a really nice line of nets, might be something to add to the mix for next season
Bought the net from Lambeth but bought the replacement on-line through the website.

Back