Fishing Report Erie gold #2

Ticker

Forecast called for another beauty day ,so took the opportunity to get out
Out of Port Colborne this time at first ligth
Made our way to near the same spot as last weekend with my better half this time
As soon as deployed the trolling motor, had to hit spot lock as we landed on the mother load
Non stop action with many doubles coming up
1 man and 1 women limit and some dinks to 7 inch throw backs " we don't bring the fish up fast in deep water to give them a chance for release, if bladder blown regardless of size its kept "
Better half did amazing considering in the morning was a bit rough for her liking and got a bit green but no 🤢🤮 ,as well beating me in big fish hands down
Depth 65-66 fow
Water temps 55 on surface
South , South/east winds ,calm by noon
Bait emerald shiners 6 scoops and again only a few left
Sad part : the boat is going to storage next week
Well maybe the week after 20221029_085614.jpg20221029_140224.jpg20221029_140155.jpg

Last edited:
Made our way to near the same spot as last weekend with my better half this time
As soon as deployed the trolling motor, had to hit spot lock as we landed on the mother load
1 man and 1 women limit and some dinks to 7 inch throw backs " we don't bring the fish up fast in deep water to give them a chance for release, if bladder blown regardless of size its kept "
Better half did amazing considering in the morning was a bit rough for her liking and got a bit green but no 🤢🤮 ,as well beating me in big fish hands down
Depth 65-66 fow
Well maybe the week after View attachment 67610View attachment 67611View attachment 67612
Nice shooting ticker great looking bunch of gold there

@Ticker, you have been dialied in on the perch and that is a hell of a days catch there. Looks like you have some real chunky jumbos in there.
Great job once again!!:)

Ticker:
I would say "motherload" would be an appropriate description! I had a few walleye that measured up smaller than some of those fellas in your cooler today. Good on Mrs. Ticker keeping her breakfast down. Glad it calmed down a bit to allow a more pleasurable day for you both. You mentioned the depth off water in your vitals for the day. Were you fishing on or near bottom or up the column somewhat shallower? It wouldn't have occurred to me to fish for perch in those depths, particularly this time of year. You sure as hell cannot argue with your size and success rate if that's the case.

Ticker:
I would say "motherload" would be an appropriate description! I had a few walleye that measured up smaller than some of those fellas in your cooler today. Good on Mrs. Ticker keeping her breakfast down. Glad it calmed down a bit to allow a more pleasurable day for you both. You mentioned the depth off water in your vitals for the day. Were you fishing on or near bottom or up the column somewhat shallower? It wouldn't have occurred to me to fish for perch in those depths, particularly this time of year. You sure as hell cannot argue with your size and success rate if that's the case.
Thank you @Reel-ist
Fishing was actually better with the waves vs calm
Fishing rigth on bottom
My set up is a simple drop shot with 2 hooks and 3/4 oz sinker first hook 8-10 " second hook 6" from first ,
Mostly vertical jigging unless I'm searching for the fish short cast or dragging slowly
I dont use the typical perch / walleye rigs with all the extra wire , clips and other stuff on it
Keeping it simple does the trick

Ticker:
Thanks for the informative reply. I tried some modified perch and walleye rigs last year and learned, as you said- k.i.s.s. principle applies here for me too from here on out. One sure way not to be catching perch is to have your lines in the boat untangling things instead of in the lake. Still never thought that perch would be one of the species on/near bottom at such a depth. Perhaps those depths are reserved for the big specimens you were catching. Might be a good way not to be robbed blind of minnows by the little dinks that are so common in the shallows where I usually go looking for them. Again, good on you and the Missus for getting on them👍

Ticker how are you preparing your perch? They look delicious.

Ticker: I see you applied the K.I.S.S. principle to the cooking as well as the tackle set up. It looks like it paid in both cases. ☺️👍

Depth 65-66 fow
Well maybe the week after View attachment 67610View attachment 67611View attachment 67612
Ticker, what do you use for fishing line to feel a bite in 55' of water. Awesome fish by the way

Thanks for the info Ticker I will check out that coating.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks