Meater vs Weber Connect

Outdorman

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I have a Weber connect and have been looking at a Meater. Problem is the thickness of the probe. Chicken breast(boneless,skinless) fast grill streak and ribs looks way too thin for a meater probe. I like the Meater idea or roasts or rotisserie chicken but not sure if it will work with thinner cuts. Do I need both? The Weber connect doesn't seem to have the flexibility of thickness of mea etc.

Thanks Stomp, seems the meater is for he Traegar and the weber for the gas grill. It sounds like using the meater on a rotisserie would get the prob way too close to the rear burner to be used.

I didn't reply right away as I don't have a Weber connect.

I wouldn't use a probe on a high heat sear, that would be an instant read thermometer situation and finger touch doneness test.

A probe for me is for a duration cook where I don't want to be standing over the cooker for ages.

Placing the censor tip in the center of the meat will give you an accurate measure of what is happening there.

I wouldn't worry about using a Meater on a rotisserie because of the ability to place it parallel to the rod and not sticking out 90* to it.

A rotisserie is a form of a slow cook and shouldn't expose the Meater to excessive temperature.

I will take the risk on one of my probes to back up that experiment in the near future. 🌻

Last edited:
Thanks Hvyhaul, be careful with your Meater on the roti, my infra red rear burner is glowing hot and would very close to the Meater on every pass. My other concern was with the diameter of the probe being too large for a thin steak or ribs or a boneless skinless chicken breast. I look forward to your test results.

Thanks Hvyhaul, be careful with your Meater on the roti, my infra red rear burner is glowing hot and would very close to the Meater on every pass. My other concern was with the diameter of the probe being too large for a thin steak or ribs or a boneless skinless chicken breast. I look forward to your test results.

That is why I use an instant read thermopen on thin meats @Outdorman.

I think I'll be ok on the rear burner. I'll set off center and measure the distance before firing up the burner. 🤞🌻

FYI

My two Meater blocks are blackening. (wood)

meater1 (1).jpg

I have never exposed them to the weather, they have been attached to the side of my fridge in the backyard which is at the back of my garage under a large shingled roof.

Their response to my email.

Not covered under warranty, we'll sell you two replacement charging blocks for less than what you originally paid.

My response.

If you can't make and finish them to exist in air, maybe you should make them out of plastic from now on.

I'll refinish them myself over the Winter but be advised, you have to keep them under wraps (sealed from air) all the time and I expect no matter what you do, they will blacken over time.

Neat toy?

Yes, with inherent limitations.

Mandatory for great results?

Nope, I cooked / smoked for years without one. 🌻

Last edited:
Wow, that looks like the fish cleaning board that lives in my boat all season. Have to sand it down at the start of every season. If I do get one, maybe I should go for the darker version, or throw a coat of clear coat on it. I hear polymerized tongue oil is food safe (Lee Valley)

The big plus I'm looking at is for rotisserie, everything else can have a cord attached. I have 4 different BBQ's/Smokers and an enclosed fireplace and have always done okay with the tools I have.

Meater works if your phone is close by while your cooking.Mine was a gift but I wouldn't buy one as you need to purchase extra on the app which I refuse to do.Wired probes work just as well without needing your phone .Or just a plain battery operated temperature probe does the same..
I prefer more the old school ways than these probes.

@Outdorman I cooked on my WSM using two probes, only one would stay connected. Never an issue with the Treager.

I guess the metal is too thick on the WSM.

Still haven't rotissed using it yet, but intend to do it. Maybe during this warm spell.

Will post when it happens. 🌻

@Outdorman I cooked on my WSM using two probes, only one would stay connected. Never an issue with the Treager.

I guess the metal is too thick on the WSM.

Still haven't rotissed using it yet, but intend to do it. Maybe during this warm spell.

Will post when it happens. 🌻
sorry for my ignorance but what do you men when you say "WSM"?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks