Off Topic Safety Tip

GPS

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Helped a friend load his boat on Friday and he used a wheel chock with 6 feet of heavy cord on it. Transmissions have a small pin that holds them in park and they can break.
When loaded he drove up the ramp and the chock followed.
Made this one for myself today. Caribeener attaches where the safety chain hooks to the hitch

Attachments

• 109C4E33-2E66-4C7A-BDB7-82293BCCBA05.jpeg
    109C4E33-2E66-4C7A-BDB7-82293BCCBA05.jpeg
    287.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 03562A95-9785-43F6-8AE1-63EED065CB27.jpeg
    03562A95-9785-43F6-8AE1-63EED065CB27.jpeg
    452.4 KB · Views: 33
I always use my electronic P Brake when pulling out the Legend.

I use parking break , my new truck automatically engage the parking brake on a incline at a certain degree
My question is that how do you put t it behind the rear tire when it's submerged in the water , most of the time mine are submerged when lunching or pulling out

My Jeep is standard , and I don’t trust my parking brake , just need a good girlfriend, I back down the ramp she takes care of everything, ha I proof read that post

I use the parking brake pretty well every time. Takes the stress off the tranny when loading and putting the truck back in gear,
And, BTW - if anyone happens to have a Nissan 2020 - 2023 model year looks like you may want to do that everywhere.....https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/18/business/nissan-frontier-titan-rollaway-risk-recall/index.html
the US always seems to get these recalls going before we do.
If anyone is looking for a new Titan they don’t sell them in Canada anymore due to lack of sales. Looks like my Nissan days are over

Mine and his are both 6 feet up the ramp from the water. Just an added safety feature for 24 and 26 or bigger glass boats.

Yup been doing that for years, ever since I watched a truck, trailer & seadoos disappear under 10 feet of water when the parking brake failed. You can never go wrong being careful.
cheers Mike

Make sense @GPS
I'm only towing a tanka boat lol 17.6 feet 🤣
Even on steep ramps tires are in the water
I’m trying to remember if my back tires go in the water at port Stanley or not
I think they do just a little bit
Think my boat is pretty safe not too heavy to drag my truck in.
I more worry about leaving it in reverse
But my truck has an annoying safety feature that automatically puts my truck in park and parking break goes on if door open in drive or reverse

Last edited:
Make sense @GPS
I'm only towing a tanka boat lol 17.6 feet 🤣
Even on steep ramps tires are in the water
You could always put them under the front wheels, better than nothing. You must have a really short boat trailer, my rear tires are rarely in the water and I'm towing a 16.5 footer. Here's hoping you never need the chocks.

You could always put them under the front wheels, better than nothing. You must have a really short boat trailer, my rear tires are rarely in the water and I'm towing a 16.5 footer. Here's hoping you never need the chocks.
Definitely in the water , as most of the times I'm stepping out of the truck I step in water
Only time I lunch / retrieve the boat and have to get out when fishing with my wife , and one friend who can't back up a trailer to save his life
Usually I'm in the boat get put in and drive away from ramp than pick up second person same coming out ,second person backs in I drive up and hook on way we go
Can't do it at certain boat ramps if they don't allow driving your boat on with power
I'm not allowed to go fish by myself was made clear by boss lady when I got the boat 🤷‍♂️

I’m trying to remember if my back tires go in the water at port Stanley or not
I think they do just a little bit
Think my boat is pretty safe not too heavy to drag my truck in.
I more worry about leaving it in reverse
But my truck has an annoying safety feature that automatically puts my truck in park and parking break goes on if door open in drive or reverse
That feature sounds annoying but I actually did that by mistake hooking up in the driveway recently. Left it in reverse with parking brake on (and trailer wheels chocked). I was fooling around with the coupler that was on the ball but not engaging properly… back and forth up and down and in and out a few times, and that’s when you make a mistake.

Mine and his are both 6 feet up the ramp from the water. Just an added safety feature for 24 and 26 or bigger glass boats.
Ah, one of those boats. Highland Glen ramp used to always provide entertainment when large glass boats showed up. The ramp was so steep gravity was king. Kinda like the guy at 1:49 on this boat ramp rodeo show

:ROFLMAO: The guy doing a reverse tokyo drift down the ramp... I feel like most people know what its like to be underequipped and manage once or twice. But apparently he does that all year long, and even gets his boat in straight 🤷‍♂️ Clearly that guy has no need for wheel chocks!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks