Burwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
My windy premium is showing slightly different
And instead of the three hour forecast it shows hourly
So I picked 7pm since I’d likely be out there from 430pm until sunset.

But both saying 13km/hour today west tomorrow east. East wind usually has choppier more un predictable waves. That are generally bigger in comparison to those from the west with the same wind.
And the weather buoy data is showing approx 2.5knots less wind than what windy has been forecasting.
Is what I’m seeing and is why I feel that way.

View attachment 65032View attachment 65033View attachment 65035
Just a point of note never advise anyone as to the safety of trusting any of the weather apps or for that matter the bouy as the ultimate truth on weather. I've seen the bouy saying 1 ft wind north and here in Port Burwell went out to 6 ft and a north west west. Use your sources and boating skills and experience and fish if you can. Today myself and my clients enjoyed a beautiful day out fishing with lots of fish and a very open lake with little boat interference. No Erie chum was used in the catching of fish today.

Just a point of note never advise anyone as to the safety of trusting any of the weather apps or for that matter the bouy as the ultimate truth on weather. I've seen the bouy saying 1 ft wind north and here in Port Burwell went out to 6 ft and a north west west. Use your sources and boating skills and experience and fish if you can. Today myself and my clients enjoyed a beautiful day out fishing with lots of fish and a very open lake with little boat interference. No Erie chum was used in the catching of fish today.
For sure thank you!
That’s kinda what I been saying 🤷🏻
Look at the forecast and compare to the buoy! (What’s actually happening on the lake)
And I fish much closer to the buoy than Burwell so it’s even more accurate for myself to go off of that.
The windy and other forecast are good to watch so you know if the wind is suppose to increase while you plan to be out there.
Pretty pointless to go out there is the wind is suppose to increase drastically shortly after getting out to fishing grounds

Well, was a good day and good timing as per the multisource divinations.
Got to Burwell about 8:15 and a slowish ride out the 60' about 20mph, keeping on plane. Were still swells coming from the SW but the wind was off shore NW, not a leaf moving but windmills spinning.
Set up in 60' and headed out to 65' picking up fish steadily. Flattened right out by 1pm. Ended up about 4 miles west and 13miles off shore as the crow flies from Burwell and turned around and picked up the rest of 24 on the way back in. Wind was picking up SW around 2:30 and was a pretty good onshore chop when we got into about 4-5 miles out. Boats heading out would've had a bumpy trip.
Another good day on Erie...😉
Forgot to mention the "hey what's that jug?", Twang, cannonball gone 2 lures, downrigger line in the kicker, quick swim to clear it. Tug had laid a net in at about 60' after we had passed and had turned back after picking up a few fish. Was gone again later on the way back in. Even when no other boats in sight, always have someone looking forwards....

20220901_132035.jpg20220901_142704.jpg

Some colder water to the west we would've been almost to the edge of.

20220901_053335.jpg

Marked fish steadily all down around 40-45', not a lot of bait marks, but they looked well fed.

Last edited:
@tailfeathers and @Derkd9 try dropping the windy pin flag on the bouy then compare the data. You will find by todays example it is very close. Now consider the 10kts on shore 12 miles away at your return port. The flag pin dropped at port was ~ 3kts higher - as were the waves a bit taller.

We are all experienced here.

I have had remarkable success with windy.com -- here is what I do.

1) What time are you heading out. Drop pin (windy flag) on port leaving time. What wind are you facing? Directionally and Force. Where there any winds greater that 15kts 4 hrs earlier? No perfect - yes likely residual rollers...
2) Destination : 12 miles out for example the bouy - Drop windy pin on the bouy destination ? What wind will you experience while there fishing. 2-3 hrs.
3) Return to port X hours later - slide the time scale on windy.com What wind are you facing on return?

For step two if you want a reality check - compare the bouy data with the Pin flag windy data.

4) Click on Rain Thunderstorms - bouy can't help you there.
5) Click on Thunderstorms for electrical charge map. - (This trumps most decisions if yellow or red over the duration and locations of travel)

A couple of weeks ago that Woodstock storm added wind gusts of 10kts that both the bouy and windy got wrong. b/c a thunderstorm blew in closer than expected. - It turned us around a mile out and I am conservative on weather decisions. Boats larger than 20ft pulled in behind the Burwell lighthouse to see if it would blow threw.

Looking at bouy data doesn't support wave conditions 12 miles away with on shore winds. We all know that.

Last edited by a moderator:
@BayRunner16 I prefer looking at the current radar for thunderstorms and rain activity and look at the time the front moves across the lake for pop ups. But if you watch the radar you can see what general path the storms are going to take and about what time it will be over the lake. It isn’t exact but I would prefer to watch that then religiously believe in windys forecasts. I just use windy for wind directions and speeds as a guideline and compare that to the wind speed and directions the buoy is reading and if the wave height is good and what trend it is taking over a couple of hours prior, you can also see how accurate the forecast are with that.
While the boat is under power heading out I don’t care if it’s a slow ride out aslong as the conditions aren’t going to sink the boat I don’t mind riding threw some waves to calmer waters where I troll nothing wrong with that in my books. Of course if I was retired I would have less of a tolerance for getting bumped around by some 2-3ft waves

@Derkd9 Basically 10Kts = 4ft waves if that wind is sustained for two hrs. I won't recommend that as good weather for small crafts. My preference is fast ride smoother ride out -- but I'll make my way facing into way 3ft waves no issue. Would prefer rolling over the backs of 3 or 4 ft waves in boats 20ft or under. So that is were I'm coming from when reading windy. It's a trip weather report. - no different that what pilots of planes face. Where do they get their bouy data from ? haha - no question Radar helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Derkd9 -- With reference to thunderstorms. Here is great read on what is recommended by the FAA for skirting thunderstorms.
General guidelines, Radar limitations, etc. The FAA does their best to keep people safe. 👍
What applies to pilots apply to vessel captains. Looking to see what NOAA provides.

My take away is 20 miles is the safe zone from thunderstorms. From the Bouy thats a thunderstorm south of London / St Thomas area. If that tracks towards Tilsonburg. That would trump the weather conditions on the lake.

Thunderstorm Avoidance : Pilot General Rules
Pilots should observe the following rules for any flight routed even potentially near actual or possible thunder- storm activity:
  • Avoid all thunderstorms.
  • Never go closer than 5 miles to any visible storm cloud with overhanging areas, and strongly consider increasing that distance to 20 miles or more. You can encounter hail and violent turbulence anywhere within 20 miles of very strong thunderstorms.
  • Do not attempt flight beneath thunderstorms, even when visibility is good, because of the destructive potential of shear turbulence in these areas.
  • At the first sign of turbulence, reduce airspeed immediately to the manufacturer's recommended airspeed for turbulent air penetration for a specific gross weight (that is, maneuvering speed, or Va).
  • If the aircraft inadvertently penetrates the thunderstorm, maintain a straight and level altitude on a heading that will take you through the storm area in the minimum time.
  • Never let compulsion take the place of good judgment.

Funny you’re still trying to convince me about the day @King Joe and I went fishing when there was a storm coming. Back on Aug 17th evening was a moronic thing to do.

The big storm is east of Port I did not have to motor into it. There was clear skies above our head the whole time. There was at minimal dozen other boats out, some heading out as we head in. Anywho pretty sure no one was struck by lightning that evening. And when the storm reached the lake it actually died, which I was assuming would happen as well. 🤷🏻 Should of stayed out to collect our limit instead of playing it safe and heading in short of our limits.

Thanks for the aviation guidelines on how to navigate a storm. Maybe a couple takeaways from it but I’ll stick with my methods tho. 👍

D588CA75-12D3-435D-B876-13009C2AD1B2.jpegAB0C3330-F470-4402-B376-A47AC168B767.jpeg0965CB3A-F4BC-41B3-BE53-604E8E72C952.jpegEEDE72B6-CC5C-4A45-8FBA-DBB66C3D342F.jpeg

I think we've reached the end of this one, too much of a good thing maybe but it's starting to become repetitive repetitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back