Advice From The Pellet Smokers

DaveJ

Time for a pellet smoker..I can't stand all the pictures and recipes that I can't copy on the BBQ.
Trager, Pit Boss, Camp Chef, Green Mountain, Louisiana...what do you recommend?
Dont need every bell and whistle but want a few!!
There is a Louisiana Grill LG 900 demo available thats a good deal??

I have a Yoder YS 640. Sort of higher end and built like a tank. Love it but it wasn’t cheap. Friends have Traegers and love them. I know one guy with a green mountain, it works well. Moral of the story is they all work well, just comes to price you want and features your willing to pay for.

Food for thought :

Pit Boss and Louisiana grills are made by Dansons a company started after Treager's patent expired in 2006.

A good read for specs and comparison.

Angry BBQ

If you find the equivalent grill between Pit Boss and Louisiana you'll get your answer

Love my Traegar Ranger, it's small but all I need for the two of us. It is very portable and can be used to tail gate and camp. You do need hydro though, a small inverter does the trick. See 0-3-2-1 post for pictures. Comes with temperature probe and timer built in.

I have had a pitboss for 3 years now and i love it. I've smoked e wide variety of meats like brisket, pork shoulder, sausage, chicken, salmon, trout and have never been disappointed. My main selling factor for this brand was the price fit my budget but i wouldn't think twice to buy another pitboss.

I have a Traeger for 6 years now and works just as good now as when new.Other than the digital temperature reading, it's bare bones of options.The biggest issue with pellet smokers are if the pellets get moisture and clog the auger.Never keep any pellet smoker outside when not in use.Plus vacuum the dust out on occasion as it can build up in the burner.

Yupper Pellets have to stay pellets if they start breaking down, toss 'em.

Don't dump the bottom of the bag into the hopper.

I love my Treager, but I also still have great affection for my WSM for certain cooking. 🌻

agree with hvyhaul, while I love my Traeger I will never give up my SS Weber.

Also loving my traeger, bought the silverton 620 at Costco for $1099.00. It has the meat prob and wifi stuff and it works great. There are 2 reasons I bought the pellet smoker, 1)This forum, like you I couldn't stand reading all these delicious posts and felt left out. 2) My buddy had us over for dinner and the chicken was the best I'd ever had. He has a Louisiana grill and loves it. I've read the z grills are also really good and you can save some bucks. At the end of the day most of these smokers are in the $1000 range if your buying a beginner type setup.

P.s. wish mine had super smoke but had other benefits that I couldn't pass up. Like, the drip bucket is under the smoker in a cabinet. That way the dogs aren't getting into it...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks