Tablefare...

jammer

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
As much as I love to fish I love to eat it as well...

I've grown as a angler and cook over the years to make the best tablefare possible...

I don't keep any fish over 8lbs... I bleed them out and to ice asap... When I clean them all belly meat is discarded...

I know alot of people turn there nose up at bows but I love them small and fresh...

20220620_145153.jpg20220621_085102.jpg

Yep! I'm a graduate of the same school excepting 5 pounds is my limit for trout and salmon and 4 pounds for walleye and pike. With perch my preference is 9" to 10" although I rarely refuse anything over 8". 8 inchers are great eating just not much of a return for the effort required to fillet them. Why I keep perch 12" and over is a mystery. I guess everyone is really impressed with a catch of Jumbo's but even my grandchildren empty a platter of prepared fillets with the jumbo's left to the end or not consumed at all.

Yep! I'm a graduate of the same school excepting 5 pounds is my limit for trout and salmon and 4 pounds for walleye and pike. With perch my preference is 9" to 10" although I rarely refuse anything over 8". 8 inchers are great eating just not much of a return for the effort required to fillet them. Why I keep perch 12" and over is a mystery. I guess everyone is really impressed with a catch of Jumbo's but even my grandchildren empty a platter of prepared fillets with the jumbo's left to the end or not consumed at all.
7.5" - 9" are my fav perch too... 😉

I love rainbow. I like to gut them, fill the cavity with lemon and orange slices wrap in tin foil and put on the BBQ. If I do get a bigger one I like to smoke it and make rainbow salad sandwiches. I just break it up, add mayo and green onion, my kids love it too.
I always make a extra piece for either breakfast or sandwiches too...

I love rainbow. I like to gut them, fill the cavity with lemon and orange slices wrap in tin foil and put on the BBQ. If I do get a bigger one I like to smoke it and make rainbow salad sandwiches. I just break it up, add mayo and green onion, my kids love it too.
A buddy of mine pressure cook rainbow then breaks it apart and cans it. Lasts a long time and when you're ready to eat is as you mentioned add mayo and onions, slap it on some toast and you're all set!!!

As much as I love to fish I love to eat it as well...

I've grown as a angler and cook over the years to make the best tablefare possible...

I don't keep any fish over 8lbs... I bleed them out and to ice asap... When I clean them all belly meat is discarded...

I know alot of people turn there nose up at bows but I love them small and fresh...

View attachment 58628View attachment 58629
Sure looks good to me

Back in the 80s and 90s Michigan fish boils were super popular..and still are in the states. A really different approach..no oil or BBQ.. but really good. Lots of recipes online..here's one that's pretty basic. We would use cobs of corn also.
Boil Recipe

At Home Fish Boil - serves 8

16 chunks of Whitefish, trout, salmon

16 small red potatoes (ends cut off)

16 small white onions (peeled)

1/2 lb. salt

2 gal. water

Add 1/4 lb of salt to water and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and boil for 16 minutes. Add onions and boil for 4 minutes more. Add fish and another 1/4 lb salt, boil for 10 minutes and drain into a colander. Serve with melted butter, lemon and coleslaw.

I like this recipe the best. I just sub my own fish

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks