Off Topic My Kicker is Kicking me in the 🥜🥜🥜

Birthdays are fun so enjoy them ! Outboards ....... ? P.I.T.A. !!! My Dad said always start at the basics, so it gets gas but no spark , right ? Check all the wires and connections, right ? Usually it's the Ground/Negative side of systems that cause problems ; same goes for trailers. Check the fuse ? I know when the power pack on our two strokes blew you could see sparks dancing all over them but best seen in the dark. It's not in gear is it ? Safety switch would disable starting. Hopes it's an easy fix when you find it and at least you can do it now instead of being 5 miles out .

I was the designated decoy today so I didn't think it was wise to post any evidence of that nature.

Speaking of nature, I did have an interesting conversation with ol' one eyed Rocky Racoon.

Poor bugger couldn't get up enough nerve to walk past us to get to the bird feeders to ground browse.

rocky.jpg

Thought maybe I got lucky.

Harness is a 7 pin with 5 wires and pins being used.

There's also 2 wires that run the length of the boat into the motor.

Harness tested out ok. Had to find the front of two the wires.

Yamaha oil sensor gauge. Hmmmmmmm.

Pulled dash open, broken wire. :eek:

dash.jpg

Tested the wires, both good.

Connected everything up, crossed fingers, turned the key.

Nope :cry:

Still no spark. Still no joy.

In my olden days....... there is a magnet in the flywheel and every time it passes over a sensor on the way around that is what tells the coil to fire. There is no distributor of sorts, just a magnetic pickup to trigger the spark. In the past when I had trouble it turned out that a little rust on the magnet part of the flywheel and on the pick up was my starting issue. If you have no spark that is the first issue that needs to be felt with.

My fingers are crossed for you, hope it all ends well SOON.

Hvyhaul,
I feel your pain. Wednesday I noticed a nut on my Yamaha that had backed off and was stuck in grease from the pivot shaft.20220605_163601.jpg I search the web and found that nut holds the motor onto the pivot arm. 3 hours later it is all clean and the bolts are tight and have loctite on for shitsandgiggles.
20220605_163550.jpgI should mention the bolt is only accessible from under the powerhead and to remove that off comes the lower unit. All cleaned up and ready to put it back together. I ordered full gasket kits for motor and they are in for pick up tomorrow at Don Hyde.

20220605_163622.jpg

Figure while its this far down I am going to do a head gasket. Tiny seep has been along gasket for 2 years.
Good luck on your search 🤞🤞🚤🚤
Shawn

I know you are trying to make me feel better @tazmania and by those pictures I should...... but I don't. LOL

Hope yours goes back together without issue. 🌻

We have JOY!!!

Thanks to everyone on here and via PM, I worked my way through schtufph and found the solution this morning.

This was the problem.

View attachment 58083

Took steel wool to it and cleaned it up and the sensor/pickup at the front of the motor.

The result, was a single phart first key turn and this on the second.

View attachment 58084
Love it when a plan comes together.

In my olden days....... there is a magnet in the flywheel and every time it passes over a sensor on the way around that is what tells the coil to fire. There is no distributor of sorts, just a magnetic pickup to trigger the spark. In the past when I had trouble it turned out that a little rust on the magnet part of the flywheel and on the pick up was my starting issue. If you have no spark that is the first issue that needs to be felt with.

My fingers are crossed for you, hope it all ends well SOON.
so what do I win?:)

Super happy you have things worked out !!!!

Now back to the BBQ !!!

Back